FTP issues change from Bootcamp to Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MarcE, Aug 6, 2009.

1. MarcE

MarcE Bit poster

Dear Parallels users,

At the company, we are looking into changing some Macs from Bootcamp to Parallels, to access
    Windows a lot faster.
    We have to make quick changes on some web-sites, and are using Windows software for this.
    In Bootcamp, changing the web-site and uploading it to the FTP server everything always works fine,
    but using the Bootcamp partition in Parallels Desktop, no connection can be made to the FTP server.
    Using the same partition in Bootcamp again, still working fine.

Anybody an Idea of what the problem could be.

Thanks, Marc

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Parallels Shared Networking does not support Active FTP mode. It is an issue of current version of Parallels.

To resolve this, try use either "Bridged Networking" or switch FTP-client to Passive-conection mode

3. VBR

VBR Member

4. MarcE

MarcE Bit poster

Hello Elric and VBR,

You really pointed me in the right direction.
    I set the Parallels prefs for the Network in the Menu : Virtual Machine/Configure/Hardware/Network Adapter1
    to Bridged Network and Default Adapter.
    Beautiful...... that is where I lost the Internet connection, as expected. Now it is a seperate Machine, running independent from the Mac.

Next, I looked-up the Windows/Parallels Mac Address in the Command Screen by typing ipconfig /all, where I found
    the Mac Address.
    Programmed the Mac Address in the Router.

And Yes !!!!!! Internet back online again, and I could connect to the FTP server where the Website is, and connect and update the site.

Thanks a lot,

Yours, Marc

5. HonzaI

HonzaI Member

Hello,

I wonder if there is any other workaround of this ftp limitation. In our environment I cannot make Windows visible to the rest of the network, as I would not get IP number. Our IPs are locked to MAC addresses and any "foreign" computer is locked out of the network immediately. If I request adding my VM to the IP list, I will loose all control over it to IT and it will become useless for development. At this time my VM is hidden and I can actually manage it as needed.

So, I cannot use bridged networking.

Is there any other way to pass ftp through the mac? Does anyone know about some other sensible way, may be through proxy or something? I need to test software which I am developing, which runs ftp fine on mac side, but when run under windows, it is failing since ftp is failing.

Thanks