Word from Parallels team on build 3120 please!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BenInBlack, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I know probably the whole company is at macworld, but if there is anyone there, can we get some sort of word on this build 3120 that seems to have squeeked into the forum :D

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Tim Surgent from Parallels said via a postscript in another thread that he had been using 3120 for several days. So it is released at least internally at Parallels. Apparently too it is a release candidate, not a beta although it is neither until it is officially announced.

It would be nice to see: The availability announcement, the change log, the known bugs list, the what's new list, before or at least when it hits the street.

3. drval

drval Pro

I strongly suspect that they will be making some kind of statement as soon as they reasonably can. BTW, I definitely liked the idea from Tim Surget of Parallels about sending specific comments to:

beta@parallels.com

Doing that will make certain that those comments become part of the official working process of development.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

What he said was to include that address for comments. Is that your only drum?

5. STim

STim Bit poster

I'm asking to send bugreports to beta@parallels.com in any official announcement. Most bugreports require several communications with the person reporting the problem and doing that via forum is quite uncomfortable not saying about lack of any possibility of request tracking.

Best regards,
    Tim

6. paco.blasco

paco.blasco Member

First probe

First test of 3120:

WinXP launched with 3120: BLACK SCREEN
    (video driver incompatibility?)
    I'm trying to solve....

Bye!

Later: Not all VM has this problem....
    I belive the way to solve is to start Windows in "Safe Mode" and to install new Parallels Tools Drivers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  7. STim

STim Bit poster

The solution will be
    1. Booting XP into Safe Mode.
    2. Uninstalling Parallels Tools via Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.
    3. Booting into regular mode.
    4. And installing Parallels Tools again.

Or alternatively
    1. Getting VM from backup.
    2. Starting.
    3. Ignoring Windows prompts to install any drivers.
    4. Installing Parallels Tools
    5. Rebooting.

Best regards,
    Tim

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Thanks, Tim - that I'm sure is pretty well understood. Val has been playing the role of net nanny of late and scurrying around the posts trying to silence discussions and shepherd them off to the beta address. He was just being repetitive here. You might offer him a job so he will feel more fulfilled.

So when is the release party/announcement coming for build 3120 or what ever it's up to now? The cows have left the barn on this one.

9. paco.blasco

paco.blasco Member

Hi Tim (and Thanks):
    It is difficult becouse I have only a black screen (the rest of the machine is working due to HD ande network movements).
    A way to solve: launch Windows in Safe mode and re-install Parallels Tools Drivers.

Thanks!!!!

10. drval

drval Pro

Actually I don't think it was "pretty well understood" as you had just posted

dkp:>"What <Tim> said was to include that address for comments. Is that your only drum?"

I work for myself, don't need a job, don't want a job. But I respect a well done program, esp when in the midst of a competitive environment.

Oh, yes, the other thing is that I have actually done the update to 3120 -- it couldn't have been easier. Did the download, shutdown Parallels, launched the installer, when it finished I started up Parallels and even resumed working in XP precisely where I had left off -- open development environment for my programming efforts.

I obviously don't know how well it will work for others but for me it was very simple.

11. paco.blasco

paco.blasco Member

Keyboard problems continue on V3120

Hi all (specially Tim):

I'm probing parallels (at the same time I'm using for production so in the morning reinstall my stable version to work with the product VMs and in the night reinstall beta versions....so I'm freaky).
    On my Spanish MacBookPro the keyboard is scratched on the VM.
    Keys like "()/&%$·ç´``-_<>¿¡?'" are in the most incredible positions....so...Is there a way to create our own key mapping?
    Can you check this bug?
    It is no possible to work with this versions if you don't have an US keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

12. paco.blasco

paco.blasco Member

Keyboard problems (II)

Hi:

I have uninstalled Parallels Tools.
    I rebooted.
    I have install Parallels Tools once more.
    Keyboard is scratched.
    I suppose the rest of the software can run pretty well, but I would remember the remapping in order to use the keyboard.
    Not only is happening with the laptop keyboard. I have also an Apple keyboard (USB) and works bad also.
    Any solution previous to return to stable versions?
    And more important: this thing will be solved on 2.5 Release?
    And more more important: I had purchased Parallels Mac....2.5 will be a free update?

Thanks in advance.

13. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

Downloaded the 3120 RC 1 from the link posted. Upgrade from Beta 2 went flawlessly. USB thumb drives now work perfectly. For my purposes, the upgrade to RC 1 is now pretty much without issue. Thanks Parallels for helping me avoid VM Fusion, which is an absolute PITA to install with WinXP. The reasons for this elude me but I lack the patience to waste time exploring. Parallels does what I need and I don't have to anticipate spending mucho bucks to go to a VMWare product.

14. paco.blasco

paco.blasco Member

Vmware Fusion is a debug version. We can not compare both products until VMware releases a stable version.
    Then, we will compare Parallels stable version with VMware stable version. I'm working with Parallels from its first beta and I'm happy, but only if some problems will be solved.
    Any case I believe it is a very good product (V 1970).

See you later!

15. Fredric

Fredric Member

Hi drval,
    Would like to check one thing with you before "updating" to 3120. You made no mention of having to reinstall Parallels Tools (I don't mean for BootCamp, which I am not booting off). Is that not necessary?

16. drval

drval Pro

Yes, that was requested within the Windows startup the first time. I would suggest letting Windows continue to show you the "Unsigned Drivers" dialogues so that you can keep track of the update process. There are a lot of drivers being updated and, if you turn off that notification process, then you might think "nothing was happening". You can also turn it off and just watch the drive indicator to see that the updating is continuing.

I didn't mention it because it wasn't a separate step that I had to invoke myself.

17. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I'm not drval nor even play him on TV, but in my installation the tools auto-installed. In the past several screens would pop up during the process, or I'd have to launch it, but this time the tools just installed without my help.

18. Fredric

Fredric Member

Thank you.

19. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

3120 (RC1) install went smoothly, first thing I checked was to launch Yahoo Instant Messenger and it did not close the program down. Big problem fixed.

Oh, I visited the booth at MacWorld today. I think I only counted 3 people manning the small enclosure, and one of them didn't know Parallels as much as me : ) he said he was a new guy, so I offered some tips to some of the onlookers. I guess most the team is concentrating on RC1.

20. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I have an update - I use Desktop Manager for OS X so was away in another desktop when Parallels's tools installer popped up in the initial XP window following the install. I don't know how long it was there, but it was a long time arriving. Anyway, it walked me through all the same steps to install the tools as have earlier releases and then requested a reboot of the VM. I'm guessing the previous tools installation was sufficiently compatible that no obvious functions were missing and that lead me to think the install self-completed. In fact it did not - I just wasn't paying adequate attention.