Parallels Tools Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by prioret, Apr 17, 2009.

1. NicolasD

NicolasD Bit poster

A timeline for a fix of Parallels Tools for Ubuntu 9.04 ?

Many guys here are a bit agressive against Parallels about the fact they are not giving any information about a timeline...

I now that may be difficult for you guys, but could you try to provide us with an approximative timeline for a fix of Parallels Tools fro Ubuntu 9.04 ? 3rd quarter 2009 ? 4th quarter 2009 ? Thanks

2. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

Because Vmware and VirtualBox both have toolsets that work fine under uBuntu and were provided extremely quickly upon release.

This has brought Parallels from my default VM to not even being worthwhile to install now :(

3. trolley

trolley Member

Thread views: 21,751

Maybe this is an important issue for your customers?

I promised myself after the last BS that I wouldn't stick with Parallels, but decided to give them another chance with v4. What a mistake. I should have switched to VMWare while I had the chance.

4. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

A thought

I'm willing to be there will be no solution provided until Windows 7 and Snow Leopard are released. There will then be a new version of Parallels. Same thing happened last time when version 3.0 didn't work with the previous version of Ubuntu.

5. BrunoP

BrunoP Bit poster

I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04, CentOS 5.3 and all the time I need Parallels Tools for better integration it fails.

I am officially quitting Parallels Desktop, just installed Sun's VirtualBox for Mac (for free) and I am tired of all the delays of the Parallels Teams. I will not buy Parallels 5 when comes out!

Migrating now all my Parallels machines...

Bye Bye! Tired of been a Parallels Sucker...

6. josuahr

josuahr Bit poster

arrogant and not user-orientated

Hi all,

I have now waited long enough for Parallels 4 to fully support Ubuntu 9.04. I had to realize that the developers of the software I paid for only seem to be interested in helping MS to expand in Mac-territory.
    2 bad for us, the users who pay their salaries.

I'll move on. Even willing to buy VMWare Fusion. Won't wait any longer and surely never pay for any future version of Parallels. Going to help other users to make the right decision on which virtualizer to use and which one not.

How about you?

7. enkaytee

enkaytee Junior Member

I'm afraid I'm feeling the same. Virtualbox has matured into a very usable product and seems to cope very well with Ubuntu Jaunty. I'm just in the process of migrating my Windows VM's (which have always been temperamental in Parallels) to see if Virtualbox is as good with Windows as it seems to be with Linux - all being well, I'll be able to remove Parallels and save myself some money...and pain...!

8. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

This is exactly this !

There is a beta 5 version and it includes everything we just reproached to Parallels !!

So they will update to 5 and pay to get the bugs updated !! No more updates between major updates to correct the bugs !!! it is incredible to see such a behavior ans disrecpect from this company of thieves !

and not speaking about localized versions ... they dare to say it is impossible for them to make one single application including all the localizations like any Mac OS X software !!! And of course your licence for the English version is even not usable in the legal localized equivalent version !!

they are not russian for nothing ...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  9. michaelaye

michaelaye Bit poster

i have enough. I am not surprised our university does not support even Parallels 4 anymore.
    VirtualBox, here I come.

Regards,
    Michael

10. mgi

mgi Bit poster

2BrunoP: i have no problem with installing Parallels Tools to CentOS 5.3 (in Ubuntu 9.04 yes).

I am now testing Parallels 5 and I think it will be better with integration Parallels Tools because there is used DKMS project from Dell. I am running now CentoOS 5.3, Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows Vista with no problems.

But I also agree with M-Rick. It is no very nice to release this like payed update and at least this thing should be backported to 4.x

11. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

mgi - you mean that v5 will be payed upgrade? Where did you get that info?

12. mgi

mgi Bit poster

Every main version upgrade was payed if I am right. So why this should be not? Or do you have some other info?

13. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

mgi - I have no info at all. But I will try to find out, while v5 is in beta.

14. trolley

trolley Member

25,812 thread views now, and still no answer.

I can't say I was surprised when I got the invitation for the Parallels Desktop 5 beta. This is the same thing that happened to me going from Parallels 3 to 4. Going from 3 to 4 I swore it would be their last chance to impress me, and they miserably failed.

I'll be switching to VMware as soon as they offer a deal for Parallels switchers. I only wish I had taken them up on it last time.

15. trolley

trolley Member

People are aggressive because this has happened before. You won't be seeing any timeline because there isn't one. Parallels Desktop 4 users are going to be left out in the cold, so if you want support for Ubuntu 9.04 you better be prepared to pony up for Parallels Desktop 5.

I have a feeling a lot of people won't.

16. VraiS

VraiS Bit poster

That was the shortest evaluation ever performed

I've just spent the last hour trying to get my evaluation version of Parallels to work with Kubuntu 9.04, but to no avail. Off I go to the forums to find a resolution only to discover that the latest version of Parallels doesn't yet support a many months old version of K/Ubuntu.

That's the end of that evaluation then. Back to VMWare whose support, if rudimentary, does at least allow me to get the networking up and running.

Once the VirtualBox guys have multi-monitor support working for Linux guests I can't see many of VMWare or Parallels non-Windows using customers sticking around. Getting charged fully whack for second class support is not exactly engendering customer loyalty.

17. Dirk Hennberg

Dirk Hennberg Bit poster

So yeah, I just opened the vmware site in my browser, d/l fusion and guess I will have to say goodbye to Parallels. I can not believe this ignorant stance towards customers. Reading all the forum posts, I assume I am not the only one switching.

18. Chris Johhson

Chris Johhson Bit poster

Finally works!

Just downloaded the 4.0.3846 version and, whaddyaknow, they've got it working now. I think I like VirtualBox a lot more now after this fiasco, but good to know I can use this software I paid for.

19. Chris Johhson

Chris Johhson Bit poster

Just downloaded 4.0.3846 and I can finally install Parallel Tools. Thanks for an opportunity to fall in love with VirtualBox, though. Good to know that I can finally use the software I paid for.

20. tippytop

tippytop Bit poster

Thanks for finally supporting 9.04. Its been a big pain developing on Linux without this. I hope Parallels realizes that Linux is important for many of us and that we will switch to the VM that best supports Windows AND Linux.