USB Printer install messed up everything

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kblume, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kblume

kblume Junior Member

Hi,

I tried to hook up an hp Laserjet 1300 directly to Parallels Desktop via USB. The USB Controller was on, recognized the new hardware when I plugged in the printer. I had previously downloaded the drivers from HP. When I tried to direct the Install Wizard to the folder with the driver, Parallels Desktop crashed. It also changed irretrievably the windowed mode. It is now always full screen, just slightly off center, but I cannot size or drag it to get to the bottom with the controls. In full screen mode I tried to install the printer one more time, this time I got to the folder, but the .inf file was missing...
    I ended up lugging the laser printer to the Airport Station, where I had no problem getting to it via Bonjour.
    I trashed the preference files of Parallels Desktop, and shut down and restarted the computer many times, but the properly sized tiled window has not come back.
    I would like to get advice on the following:
    1. How do I get a properly sized window back?
    2. How do I install a USB printer?

Thanks,

Klaus

2. kblume

kblume Junior Member

Is it a Windows problem?

Hi,

The fact that the windowed mode of Parallels Desktop is not working is driving me bonkers. While in Windows 2000, I have tried to set the size of the window smaller (in the settings folder), click on the button to make it permanent, but when I come out from the full screen mode, the smaller size will only stay for a second, and then jumps back into full screen mode.

Can someone advise?

Thanks,

Klaus

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

There are two, sometimes three files that Parallels needs for your VM. They are found under your home directory in ./library/parallels/vmname

The vmname may actually be something like winxp - what ever. In there are files that have .hdd and .pvs names. The .hdd file is the actual VM. The .pvs file is the definition of the vm. There may also be a .mem fle which is a suspended form of the vm. What you can try is to make backups of the .hdd and .pvs files into another directory, then also rename the directory they're in. You now have two backups. Then delete the .pvs file - it will be recreated. Go into Parallels and create a new vm with the same name as the broken one and to the best of your ability, with the same parameters so far as screen size, memory, etc. Closer the better. This will create a directory of the same name and with a .pvs file of the same name. Copy into that directory your original .hdd file - it too should have the same suffix name. Now everything is pretty much back as with was except the .pvs file has ben replaced, but you have a good copy of the .hdd file. See if the VM will start. one of two things will happen - it will be just as it was on that happy day you created it, or it will fail miserably and you will want your money back.

Personally I think things like this are a hack, but they also sometimes work. If I was to need this vm in a production role I'd delete it and install it from scratch, and once the applications are installed I'd immediately create of copy of the directory and it's contents to a CD for safe keeping.

4. kblume

kblume Junior Member

Thanks dkp,

I have been able to control the size of the windowed mode again. When I was in full screen mode, I left the settings folder --> display open in the upper left hand corner. When Parallels Desktop returned to windowed mode, I had all the controls handy there, and was able to shrink the size of the window.

I dare not try to hook up my Laserjet printer again. I will be leaving for a month holiday on Sunday. When I come back, I’ll try it one more time. If it doesn’t work, I’ll do your hack.

Thanks,

Klaus