Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 5626 Ita and SNOW LEOPARD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by lucco78, Aug 26, 2009.

1. lucco78

lucco78 Bit poster

Hi, i try tu use it whit the SL beta, but it doesn't work!

Are you updating it?

2. VBR

VBR Member

Hello,

Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard is an Apple operating system currently in development which is planned to succeed version 10.5 "Leopard".

As Snow Leopard is still in development phase, Parallels can not guarantee that Parallels Desktop works correctly either as Host or Guest OS, so support for this OS is experimental.

Once we complete our testing, full support will be added with the official release of Mac OS 10.6.

Please refer to the link mentioned below for more clarification and for updates.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/sr/

3. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

what happens on friday then...

will i have to live without parallels after friday morning?

4. lucco78

lucco78 Bit poster

Sorry but.... i have Parallels Desktop 3.0, not 4.0 ....

The same answer is right for 3.0 ?

5. Gnome

Gnome Bit poster

Parallels v3 support for Snow Leopard

Dear Parallels,\
    Can you clearly and distinctly say whether Parallels desktop for Mac V3.* will be made compatible with Apple's OS X v10.6 aka Snow Leopard, please?

I currently run several Parallels v3.* installations, have bought a multi-user Snow Leopard license pack - so need to know what is involved in keeping Parallels v3.* running after I upgrade tomorrow to the full Apple release of Snow Leopard.

I also run several vmWare Fusion installations too, and am thinking I need to consolidate to either Parallels or Fusion, Snow Leopard may be the incentive to do so, one way of another (which is why you'll see the same question asked "over there" if you look).

Summary: Will Parallels V3.* be made compatible with Apple's OS X v10.6 aka Snow Leopard, please?

6. talmy

talmy Member

I've seen reports (not here) that Parallels 3 doesn't work with Snow Leopard. I was scared of Parallels 4 because it doesn't support Windows 2000 Workstation that I use. However last night I downloaded the Parallels 4 trial and converted the Windows 2000 VM with no problems whatsoever. I'll be testing it out thoroughly in the next couple of days. A couple of months ago I got the trial of Fusion and the conversion process was very problematic. After conversion, it did run, and about 10% faster than Parallels 3, but I found it clumsier to use. Upgrading my single Windows XP VM was problematic with both but ultimately successful as well. Upgrading Ubuntu Linux wasn't as automatic as the Parallels instructions claimed but also worked and it runs better under 4 than 3. Fusion wouldn't upgrade my Linux VM at all.

So I'd just suggest doing the upgrade to Parallels 4 and be done with it.

7. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

from parallels knowledge base re: P3 + Snow Leopard:
    "Parallels Desktop 3 (builds 5638, 5626 and lower) can not be installed on Snow Leopard Host operating system. We will provide special build for Parallels Desktop 3 to be installed on Snow Leopard in the next few days."

re: P4 + Snow Leopard:
    "Parallels Desktop 4.0 is compatible with Snow Leopard and can be installed on Snow Leopard Host, please make sure you are using the latest available build 3844. You might, however, experience some minor issues. We will release fully compatible Parallels Desktop 4 build to be installed on Snow Leopard soon."

http://kb.parallels.com/en/6637

the issues they note when using P4 + Snow Leopard are: QuickLook crashes when used on a PVM, Updater downloads but fails to install updates for parallels 4, mounter / disk explorer does not work, iphone client does not work, snapshots are very slow, opening a link from windows to mac safari causes garbage added to link, snow leopard 64-bit kernel panics when connecting a usb device.

if you're using snow leopard as the guest os, server version will not install so stick with non-server version.

i just wish parallels would come up with a cohesive answer. some posts from as recent as today say that snow leopard's in testing and parallels will release information once it's non-beta. some posts say that it only works on 32-bit mode leopard ( the default start-up mode ) while the KB says it'll work in 64-bit as long as you don't connect usb devices.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

9. oopscdaz

oopscdaz Bit poster

Hello,

Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard is an Apple operating system currently in development which is planned to succeed version 10.5 "Leopard".

As Snow Leopard is still in development phase, Parallels can not guarantee that Parallels Desktop works correctly either as Host or Guest OS, so support for this OS is experimental.

Once we complete our testing, full support will be added with the official release of Mac OS 10.6.

Please refer to the link mentioned below for more clarification and for updates.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/sr/
    COMPLEte your testing??????? bEEN ON mARS FOR THER LAST FEW MONTHS?????? Why haven't YOU tested it already??? You SHOULD have a new versionj READY to go NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. ParE

ParE Bit poster

THE OFFICIAL RELEASE OF Mac OS 10.6 is HERE!!! Where is your support on this? Does Parallels work????

11. slomas

slomas Bit poster

Repeating the question previously asked about Parallels 4: Is Snow Leopard supported by Parallels 4?

12. KeatonA

KeatonA Bit poster

Status on Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Snow Leopard?

Do we have an ETA yet as to when a patch to PD 3.0 will be available for Snow Leopard users, now that the OS is generally available?

Thanks,

-K

13. MacHound

MacHound Bit poster

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/ mentions Parallels 5 compatibility. That ought to be a hint to Parallels 3 users. We've got to be pretty far down the priorities list for development efforts.

14. KeatonA

KeatonA Bit poster

There is no version 5 yet

But there is no version 5 yet. They are selling 4 on their Web site right now. We only bought Parallels 3 a year ago (less, actually), so I would still expect it to be supported.

15. eshieh

eshieh Bit poster

I was a little bit gung-ho about updating to snow leopard (freed up ~10G of disk space!) and only realized a few minutes later that parallels 3.0 doesn't work.

Hope it gets patched!

16. HarryW

HarryW Bit poster

I have e-mailed Parallels for advice on how I proceed with the following situation and will await their response however if there is anyone on the forum who has the same experience and can share a solution with me it would be much appreciated.

I have a 15" MBP with 2 MB RAM and was running Leopard. I had installed Parallels 3 some time ago with Windows XP to allow me to use AutoCad Lite 2000 which all worked fine. I was totally unaware that Parallels 3.00 would not work with Snow Leopard and so proceeded to install SL. After discovering this fact from a screen message I downloaded a Parallels 4.00 upgrade code to allow me to continue working with AutoCad only to discover from the download information that the original Parallels 3.00 would need to be activated before it can be upgraded. Obviously I can't do this as I can't run Parallels 3.00 under Snow Leopard.

I guess that I will need to install Boot Camp as a temporary measure to allow me to continue working and meet my deadlines.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Harry

17. ErgunN

ErgunN Bit poster

Parallels Desktop 3.0 and SNOW LEOPARD

Hi
    I am having a same problem as well. I have already sent an email to Parallels UK site and am waiting their reply right now.

hope that they will come up with a solution. I did not even think about Parallels 3.00 is not compatible and would not work with Snow Leopard. It`s a such a basic thing. All software companies do same thing... as soon as a new OS comes up they release an update...

regards

EN

18. HarryW

HarryW Bit poster

Due to my drawing commitments I have downloaded the 14 day free trial of Parallels to keep me operational and hope that in the meantime Parallels will exchange my 3.00 to 4.00 upgrade key for an unlock key for the 14 day trial version.
    Regards

Harry

19. b4pjoe

b4pjoe Bit poster

It appears they have changed that article to read:

It seems they have removed the "We will provide special build for Parallels Desktop 3 to be installed on Snow Leopard in the next few days."

20. talmy

talmy Member

For those stuck with trying to do a 3->4 upgrade, Amazon.com sells a new copy (no upgrade key required) for less than you can buy an upgrade direct from Parallels. IMHO, this is a much better route. And you can download version 4 and a trial key while you wait for delivery.

Meanwhile I've upgraded Parallels, but not Leopard->Snow Leopard because it hasn't arrived yet (their Up-to-date program ships via snail mail). Remember that ANY OS upgrade needs to be done with care, with the boot disk cloned to another drive first, especially on a critical system. Any system is critical if you are using it to put bread on the table.