Snow Leopard's 64-bit Kernel & Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by stormj, Aug 18, 2009.

1. stormj

stormj Member

I currently run a MacPro1,1 and a MacBookPro2,1 neither of which (so I read) are currently compatible with the 64-bit kernel option on the current 10a432 build of Snow Leopard. However, while trying to sort out why that was, I discovered that Parallels uses a number of kexts. Since I am running Leopard (and Parallels 4), these must be 32-bit kexts.

My question is: if the release of Snow Leopard does support the 64-bit kernel on my hardware, or (even better!) I get newer hardware, will I be able to use Parallels? Will I have to reinstall the software, or will there be some smooth transition?

For now, I'm happy with how things are running, but I don't want to perform an upgrade that would break Parallels!

(N.B. This is not a question about running a 64-bit Snow Leopard VM.)

2. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

64 bits Snow Leopard kernel + current public build of Parallels Desktop == have you asked for a crash? Here it is.

3. MalcolmS

MalcolmS Bit poster

Id did work with 10A380 but was broken at 10A411 or somewhere about there. No fix from Parallels yet.

4. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

Does those machines boot in 32-bit?

I thought those machines boot in 32-bit mode by default for better compatibility?

5. bauewern

bauewern Bit poster

Dear All!

I have a German Parallels installation (Version 4.0.3844) on my Mac Pro early 2009. I recently updated to Snow Leopard and I have checked the System Profiler, the Mac Pro boots in 64Bit mode. I am now having trouble booting the virtual machines and get 2 error messages, which finally hinder the VMs from booting:

1)
    "Der Parallels-Treiber kann nicht geladen werden.
    Starten Sie Ihren Mac neu und versuchen Sie es noch einmal."

English (as good as I am able):
    "Parallels drivers cannot be loaded.
    Restart your Mac and try again"

2)
    "Die Virtual Machine kann nicht gestartet werden.
    Unerwarteter Fehler beim Start der Virtual Machine. Wenden Sie sich an das Support-Team von Parallels, um Unterstützung anzufordern."

English (as good as I am able):
    The virtual machine can not be started.
    An unexpected failure occured starting the virtual machine. Please contact the Parallels support team in order to request support.

I rebooted my Mac, but no improvment. I also de-installed Parallels and re-installed it, no improvement. Is this a single failure on my machine or is there a lack in snow leopard compatibility of Parallels?

If this a lack, what is the forecast for an update? Is there a workaround (however I do not like to boot my MacPro in 32Bit mode)? I am desperately looking for any kind of advice/hint, unfortunately I need the VM in order to get my things done....

Cheers,

Werner

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

So far I'd recommend to boot to the 32bit Snow Leopard. Just hold keys 3 and 2 while booting or execute in /Application/Utilities/Terminal the command

sudo nvram boot-args="arch=i386"

(and to return to 64bit - sudo nvram boot-args="arch=x86_64")

7. bauewern

bauewern Bit poster

When will there be an updated version of parallels available, then?

8. YannG

YannG Bit poster

Having the same problem, it's not a solution.

I'm running snow leopard in 64bits, and don't want to run it on 32bits, because of parallels...

We need an update or a patch ASAP, currently working in a production mode for a big company, we can't accept it..

Yann

9. hanspeterh

hanspeterh Junior Member

10. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

The new build 3846 of Parallels Desktop 4, available from the download/trial page and probably soon from the auto-update mechanism, seems to **fix** that issue. Give it a try.

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

12. LucG

LucG Bit poster

Where from the need to run the 64bit kernel? By defaulting to 32bits on non-server hardware Apple recommends running 32bits kernels at present; probably untill enough / all drivers & extensions are 64bits.

Just curious :)

13. YannG

YannG Bit poster

Thanks !

Thanks for this update ! Today is bank holiday in the UK I'll install the update for tomorrow :)