Snow Leopard and Parallels/Boot Camp... require reinstall?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jefferis, Aug 27, 2009.

1. jefferis

jefferis Member

Just curious if I do an archive upgrade from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard, and I going to have to reinstall BootCamp and/or Parallels???? Is there any target date on a 64 bit or otherwise compatible version of Parallels? Any even mention of work on such a thing?

2. VBR

VBR Member

Hello,

Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard is an Apple operating system currently in development which is planned to succeed version 10.5 "Leopard".

As Snow Leopard is still in development phase, Parallels can not guarantee that Parallels Desktop works correctly either as Host or Guest OS, so support for this OS is experimental.

Once we complete our testing, full support will be added with the official release of Mac OS 10.6.

Please refer to the link mentioned below for more clarification and for updates.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/sr/

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In Development?? Apple is already shipping it!

4. chargedneuron

chargedneuron Bit poster

Are you serious?! The Gold RC has been out for weeks. It's not in development! It's in production. To be released to the public in less than 24 hours. Is Parallels 4.0 ready or not? Parallels being a developer has has plenty of time to run your v4 on 10.6 RC (beta). Are there any; known issues, bugs, crashes, stability issues, etc?

My copy of Snow Leopard has already been shipped and will be installed ASAP. Am I going to have to wait weeks for Parallels to update and debug or is version 4 ready for us Mac users.

I sincerely hope that response was a "canned" one.

JMc - Liquid Thinking - Robotics Division

5. Mac Pro 5GB

Mac Pro 5GB Member

I would also like to install Snow Leopard as soon as I get it, but if I cannot run Parallels this will be a show stopper for me. We need Snow Leopard compatibility immediately please.

Thanks.

6. Lee Hanken

Lee Hanken Bit poster

Snow Leopard

I have just upgraded my MacBook to Snow Leopard.

Running my existing XP virtual machine in Parallels 4.0 was a bit flaky the first time I tried it after the install, but worked perfectly the second time.

BTW Parallels 4.0 is not on the Apple list of incompatible programs.

7. DrewC

DrewC Bit poster

No 3.0 compatibility?!

Unfortunately I jumped the gun and installed Snow Leopard without reading the compatibility list because I figured all those programs that I use are MAc compatible and I bought within the last year so I was safe.. But of Course I have Parallels ver 3 and it now will not load.. Am I ready to spend more money on parallels ver 4. I think not, I'll move to VMware first. Someone please tell me that the fix is on its way so I don't have to spend yet more money on parallels or VMware and then redo my entire windows setup.

8. Henry-In-Florida

Henry-In-Florida Member

Parallels 4.0 & Snow Leopard Questions

Snow Leopard being released there are 'issues' with Parallels 4.x and the various builds. Can we explicit on what builds work and which don't please?

Do the 32 bit and 64 bit modes of Snow Leopard both work with Parallels?

I just saw a demo of Parallels 5 with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 on a MBP 2.4GHz. It's on YouTube. Is this how long we'll have to wait for a compatible 64 bit version of Parallels?

9. Henry-In-Florida

Henry-In-Florida Member

You're right, but not incompatible doesn't mean 'fully compatible in all modes'. It seems that Parallels 4 may not be fully compatible when running under SL in 64bit Kernel. Are you sure you booted into 64bit the second time and didn't drop into 32bit?

10. VBR

VBR Member

Hello,

Parallels Desktop 4.0 with build 3844 and above is compatible with Snow Leopard. Please click on the link below to know more about Parallels Desktop and Snow leopard compatibility.
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/6637

11. macbits

macbits Bit poster

How long will this take, I received my Snow leopard yesterday, and am now running it.
    So you cannot say it is under development.

david.
    Apple developer

12. alexofindy

alexofindy Member

Mac Pro

the Mac Pro by default boots the 64 bit Snow Leopard kernel. As your knowledge base article points out, confirmed by several entries from users in your forums, this is NOT compatible with parallels 4.0. Thus, Mac Pro users running Parallels 4.0 should NOT upgrade to Snow Leopard.

I strongly hope parallels will address this issue soon. Parallels 4.0 is also no longer compatible with the latest release of Ubuntu (tools won't load). Guys - you have a fine product, but you need to keep it up to date!!

13. jefferis

jefferis Member

Did you have to reinstall Parallels, or did you do a migration upgrade or archive install and it did not have to be reinstalled? What about the BootCamp volume?