How to stop a suspended Win XP install after Snow Leopard install?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fbx, Aug 30, 2009.

1. fbx

fbx Hunter

It didn't even occur to me that Parallels 3 would not run with Snow Leopard. So, I had stopped my Parallels installation which, naturally, suspended my Win XP installation inside itself.

Then, a couple days later, I got Snow Leopard and, without even thinking of Parallels, installed Snow Leopard.

Then, the next day, I went to start my Parallels 3 install and boom!, won't run, no remedy offered.

So, naturally, I figure I'll download Parallels 4, install that, and surely that will run, and probably convert my Parallels 3 VM to a Parallels 4 VM while it's at it. Simple, yes? And it'll cost me $45 or whatever, but what the hay.

So I dl Parallels 4 and start the install and guess what? Comes to a page early on that says I have to end the Win XP install (as opposed to suspend, I presume) in my Parallels 3 installation before the Parallels 4 install will remove the Parallels 3 install.

You can see that this is impossible, as I can't run Parallels 3 to unsuspend and then SHUT DOWN the Win XP that is presently suspended in the Parallels 3 install.

I wonder how many Parallels 3 users have run into this little problem.

Is there a ready solution I'm not seeing?

2. robert mckinnon2

robert mckinnon2 Bit poster

This is my identical story. I am also concerned that the install said parallels 3.0 would have to be removed. I assume that the data saved in the programs loaded on Parallels will not be lost

3. MarcW

MarcW Bit poster

I just posted a thread on this but apparently it won't show up until moderated. So here's what you do:

Open the folder that has your Virtual Machine files in it.

Look for files that end in .sav, .pvs, or .mem.

Put them in the Trash.

Rerun the installer. (You may need to unmount and remount it. I did for some weird reason.)

It should now work.

PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL MAKE YOUR VIRTUAL MACHINE LOSE ANY APPLICATIONS THAT WERE OPEN OR ANY UNSAVED WORK! It is basically a hard restart of your VM.

4. husanio

husanio Bit poster

Same here

Sorry for the "me too" post, but I'm in the same boat. Submitted a support request (as well as a message via Twitter) but have yet to hear anything.

5. husanio

husanio Bit poster

6. Salamat

Salamat Member

Don't know if this would work but.....

If you downloaded a trial copy of VMWare Fusion, would it import a suspended Parallels VM which you could then shut down?
    (With the launch of VMware Fusion 2, which now supports the importation of both Parallels and Virtual PC 7.0-based virtual machines, )

Salamat

7. andrewwong

andrewwong Bit poster

Yes I too am having the same problem. How does one stop a suspended WinXP and Vista when Parallels 3.0 will not launch in Snow Leopard to upgrade to Parallels 4.0?

8. fbx

fbx Hunter

OK Will try.

Meanwhile I discovered that VMWare Fusion 2.0.5 will convert the suspended Win XP install in my Parallels 3 VM into a VMWare Fusion install of WinXP that will run on Snow Leopard with Fusion 2.0.5. Also loses any ongoing work in the suspended WinXP install, but nothing else.

9. neuronbob

neuronbob Bit poster

Thanks for this! I had exactly the same problem. I was able to install 4.0 just fine after following these instructions.

Now I can't get 4.0 to recognize my virtual machine for XP, but that's another thread.

Looks like I'll be restoring OS 10.5 from Time Machine so I can use Windows....

10. neuronbob

neuronbob Bit poster

I posted yesterday about being unable to select my old virtual machine in 4.0 for upgrade after using this method to get 4.0 installed, but that post is still in moderation. I figured out the solution. I moved the .sav, .pvs, and .mem files to the trash, but didn't delete them. I put the .pvs file back in the VM folder, and the installer was able to find it--that's the key file the installer needs to find. Now I have a working 4.0 install on my machine.

WHEW! I needed to use it for work today and now all is good.

11. RalphD

RalphD Bit poster

What about the HDD?

I think I may be screwed.

I was unable to find my old virtual machine files from 3.0 on my HD, but was able to find them in my Time Machine. Here's what I found under "Parallels/Microsoft WIndows XP/"

Microsoft Windows XP.mem
    Microsoft Windows XP.pvs
    Microsoft Windows XP.sav
    2008 Windows Applications/
    Windows Disks/

and under the "Windows Disks" directory:

C -> /private/tmp/308/C

This tells me that the hard disk file was being kept under /tmp/ and is now gone. Is this right? If not, where's my hdd?

Thanks in advance!
    Ralph Dosser