"Clean" uninstall

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ergueta, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ergueta

ergueta Bit poster

Hi,

I run into issues that may or not be related to the beta 4 installation. After installing beta4 the machine went into reset several times. From one reset to the next could have been from one to three hours.

Since I don't know how to make a "clean" uninstall, I decided to install the OS from scratch but even in the middle of installing the new OS with "Erase and Install" it resets itself again. It did it twice. By the third time I was able to install the new OS.

Now the machine is working fine but I have not installed paralles yet.

It was consistent on two different machines. Both new ones. (MacBook PRO/2.16GH/100GB)

2. Martin

Martin Member

did you install 100% compatible memory? sounds to me very much like a hardware problem - until I read your last line ...

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting! We will reasearch this issue with the highest priority.

4. ergueta

ergueta Bit poster

Good question. I added a second 1GB froma local store. What would be a 100% compatible memory? Do you know how to identify one?

5. ergueta

ergueta Bit poster

HI,

The hint of hardware seems to work. I removed the additional 1GB and is working better (may be too soon to decide but I never had it working without crashing more than an hour and now it is about three hours).

The issue still remains though, how can I have a "clean" uninstall?

6. Martin

Martin Member

On my first Powerbook I installed RAM which should fit regarding to specs. But somtimes there are kind of hidden properties at least I do not know. I had some bad Kernel panics I never saw again since I bought RAM from Mac shops.

7. celendis

celendis Junior Member

Clean Uninstall

I am not sure this is a 'clean' uninstall, but the program 'DesInstall' looks at the installer package receipt and removes all the files listed there. This is what I use when I want to remove programs installed by installer packages.

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

As to memory, I removed the half gig that came in my MBP and replaced it with 2 gig from ramjet.com, and it works just fine. An Apple employee gave me the tip. Kingston is another reliable but higher priced source.

As to clean uninstall, my solution is to back the machine up to an external drive, do the experiment / install / whatever, then restore the backup. I use a product called Super Duper from Shirt Pocket Software which has a differential restore (read that as fast) capability. The disadvantage is the requirement for advance planning.

9. ergueta

ergueta Bit poster

Hi all,

The memory chip was an issue. I went to apple and bought theirs. 24 hrs later no more hard resets while not using paralles. joem, thanks for the hint, I went to apple before I got your reply.

I also got this script for "clean" unnstall if anyone needs it:

#!/bin/sh
    sudo /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels stop
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/Parallels.pkg
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/Parallels.app
    sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.Parallels.plist
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Parallels
    sudo rm -rf ~/.parallels_settings>

10. missiled

missiled Junior Member

Script for Clean Uninstall

Apologies for my lack of understanding, but I am having a lot of problems with Beta 4 and need to do a complete uninstall.

I see this script listed (thanks), but honestly do not know how to run a script - can anyone give me a quick hint or two (either in the forum or through direct email)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

11. bdkennedy1

bdkennedy1 Junior Member

I'm not so sure that someone that doesn't know how to properly install memory should be beta testing a product like this.

12. Siker

Siker Junior Member

To run a script you need to do the following:

• Copy the text from the original post.
    • Open up TextEdit and paste the text into a textfile. Save it as 'ParallelsUninstall.sh' on the desktop.
    • Spotlight the application "Term" and run it. It looks like a dark box with ">_" in it.
    • Type the following commands:
    • cd Desktop
    • sh ParallelsUninstall.sh
    • The program will ask for your password once.

Be very careful when running scripts like this though. Especially if you provide your password, they can mess up your system. The script above looks safe though.

13. dylanjames

dylanjames Junior Member

re: uninstall -- a clean OS: Parallels gives this to us for Windows

Regarding the lack of trust in beta (or malicious) software -- one of the coolest things to use a virtualization product for in the Windows world is to quickly be able to "go back" to a believed clean state -- you don't need to trust uninstallers.

Parallels gives this to us for Windows! If OS X could be a Parallels guest (um, and you could run Parallels inside of it)...oh nevermind. You get the idea, though: virtualization lets you play with software you don't necessarily trust, within a guest OS, before installing it in your trusted host OS.

Of course, in this case, there's a trust bootstrapping issue. That's what a Beta program is all about!

14. mutmut

mutmut Bit poster

search with spotlight for : terminal
    launch it, and then type every single line beginning with "sudo" in this window, one by one.
    for the password, it is yours (user's pwd).

15. phineas

phineas Bit poster

Uninstall Success

Just a note to say to all that the script in this thread, which I believe was authored by daveschroeder, and the instructions on running the script offered by Siker worked for me in removing Beta 3. I have found no vestiges of Beta 3 since running the script. I prefer to clean install between all betas, and will be installing Beta 4 now.

One thing about the instructions that needs tweaking ... TextEdit would not let me name a file with an .sh extension, so I used BBEdit instead.

I would add to the body of opinion that calls for a built-in uninstaller for the Parallels product on OS X. While it's true most Mac apps don't need an uninstaller, this one clearly does.

-- Phineas

16. missiled

missiled Junior Member

Performing the script line by line in terminal worked perfectly, except for a bad response from the final line (don't remember what the response was). Thankfully, all traces of Beta 4 are gone from my MBP. Good riddance.

17. ibepc2

ibepc2 Bit poster

How do I run this script for a clean uninstall?

18. burgeke

burgeke Member

Although I don't agree with "Good riddance", :) I did find that I have extra files in the Receipts folder.

For example, I have Parallels.pkg, Parallels-2.1.1658.42.pkg, and Parallels-2.1.1658.58.pkg

Just wanted to mention, others might have these stragglers as well.

19. phineas

phineas Bit poster

Using script for Betas 4 and 5?

Has anyone used this script for uninstalling Betas 4 and 5?

20. adamsfbay

adamsfbay Junior Member

Each beta has changed some of the files associated with Parallels. Thus this script is no longer complete. The two permutations:

1. There is now a Parallels folder in Applications that needs to be removed.
    2. There are individual receipts in Library/Receipts that need to be removed specific to each version.

Probably not significant, but if you want a complete remove, that's what you'll need to do.

Adam