Upgrade to 4.0.3846 problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KrP, Sep 1, 2009.

1. KrP

KrP Member

I just completed the update and could not log on to my office network server. I rechecked all the settings and can not find the problem. The my network and my computer show all three sever folders, but somehow windows thinks I have no permissions. before I had time to check the settings on the server------

I uninstalled parallel tools and reinstalled it several times. Shut down windows and restarted several times. Then I shut down the mac and restarted and now windows is in a death loop -- stalling on a dialogue box with a big x in a red circle isass.exe - System Error the endpoint format is invalid . When I hit the ok button it goes back into the startup mode before stalling again on the same error.. I tried restarting to the last known successful configuration and end up in the same place.

What was the update supposed to do and how do I get back to pre-update status?

2. KrP

KrP Member

more notes on the problem.

I hit F8 during windows start up and continued in safe mode with networking and got windows to complete the startup.

checked a few control panel settings and did not find anything obviously wrong. a restart in normal mode gets me back to the same isass.exe error ?????????

I downloaded and installed a full version of parallels and see no change. I will try to reinstall windows, but still don't understand how all this happened by just an upgrade from 3844 to 3846.

3. KrP

KrP Member

No luck yet.

I have been putting off installing vista. I guess that is not an option now. arggh!!!!!

4. KrP

KrP Member

Found a work around !!

I really did not want the headache of installing vista and xp seemed stable enough before this parallels upgrade. I searched for what the "lsass.exe - System error the endpoint format is invalid" meant and found this support article.

Lsass.exe-System error The end point format is invalid

CAUSE
    This problem typically occurs when the /3GB switch or the /PAE switch is present in the Boot.ini file. When one of these switches is present, the computer may run out of available system page table entries.

WORKAROUND
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To work around this issue, restart your computer in Safe Mode. To restart your computer in Safe Mode, press F8 when the computer starts. Then, when the computer is in Safe Mode, add the System Pages entry to the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    To add this registry entry, follow these steps:
    Log on by using an account that has administrative credentials.
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD value.
    Type SystemPages, and then press ENTER.
    On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    Click Decimal, type 31000, and then click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor.

I all ready had the file "SystemPages" so I skipped to the next line and edited it from the initial value of 0 to 31000 and all is now well with the system.

I hope this helps someone else out there.

Now to catch up on a day's worth of work.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009