Mac Book Pro excessive heat Snow Leopard and Parallels 4.0 Build 3846

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by whuff, Sep 2, 2009.

1. whuff

whuff Member

Windows XP seems to be running fine under Parallels build 3846, but my mac book pro is sizzling! The temperature monitor I have installed says it is over 200 degrees. I've never seen it get close to that. As soon as I shut down windows the temp starts going down and then when I quite Parallels it gets right back to the 100 degree "normal" temp. Is there anything that can be done about this?

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow these steps in regards to the issue:

Restart MAC, don't start any applications. Uninstall Parallels Desktop using the .dmg file:
    http://download.parallels.com/restricted/ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US 4.0.3846.436204.dmg?2bfb2aa2bcfacd8dd0d2cafff35b16eb896b581f91c46780878eae77156c04ffa25334ca44707e3e619117e71cb1aa73

But remember that you need to uninstall both application and application settings while uninstalling Parallels Desktop application.

Now, please follow these steps :

1. Open Finder.
    2. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities.
    3. Choose MAC HD.
    4. Choose repair disk permissions.
    After running the repair disk permissions , restart the computer. Install Parallels Desktop.

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810

3. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

4. whuff

whuff Member

I followed your instructions but this has not changed the situation. As soon as the Windows XP is started the machine heats up to 200 degrees.

5. BernardH

BernardH Junior Member

I am having the exact same problem with my brand new MacBook Pro using The latest build in Snow Leopard when running Windows Vista.

My MacBook Pro is Way too hot!

6. Kevin Boudreau

Kevin Boudreau Bit poster

i had the same issues with 4.0 and XP and also 4.0 and Windows 7. I have followed those steps provided. OSX by itself does get pretty hot when Adobe Flash is running -- fans rev up. However, when Windows is running through Parallels they are running usually / often. It's quite upsetting. I think I will go back to just using Boot Camp.