Upgrade to 4.0.3846 problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Eyal Goldman, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Eyal Goldman

Eyal Goldman Bit poster

I have parallels open on my Snow Leopard as always and about every 3-4 minutes it is asking if I want to install the update to 4.0.3846. I go through the install, but after I click continue on the window that follows the password promp, it just exits out of the install and asks again a few minutes later.

any suggestions?

2. VBR

VBR Member

Hello,

Remove Parallels Desktop 4.0 as directed in the article http://kb.parallels.com/en/5714 and then install Parallels Desktop 4.0 manually by downloading it from Parallels.com

3. Pressey Christopher

Pressey Christopher Bit poster

Hm. "We have an installer but it won't work because you don't restart your computer often enough..."??

So instead I ahve to install via the "uninstaller" that still requires you to go into Terminal and do command line removals, then redownload (which means reregistering and requesting a download link, which I did and returns me a 403 forbidden error...)

What a frustrating solution to something that should be a non-issue. Parallels, get your ducks in a row and write software that works. I can't even get to the "downloadable installer" to start this process.

How about this simpler idea: an option to disable update checking?

4. rameeti

rameeti Bit poster

It would appear that the Updater is having a problem identifying the currently running Parallels application and then informing the user that they need to shut it down. The updater runs as a second app and it needs the user to shut down the original Parallels app. As is always the case, it is safest, smartest and sometimes necessary that the user Shut Down all virtual computers rather than just Suspending them. Also, if the user has renamed or moved their Parallels application from the originally installed default location, they may end up with a 2nd install that they did not want.

5. ajay

ajay Hunter

I had the same problem as the op above. I couldn't get through the install update process before the screen went away. Ultimately, I looked in my downloads folder and there was several .dmg files created by Parallels. I trashed all but one of them and double clicked on it. Voila, the install completed. I don't know why the update attempts went into the downloads folder. Anyway, all is now well. You might want to check to see if this will work for you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  6. Mark Nowikow

Mark Nowikow Bit poster

Parallels support team I have the same 403 error problem - what is the solution please

7. mkoth

mkoth Bit poster

403 error because of a fragmented URL string

The problem is a fragmented URL string when you double click . The URL in the mail that you get for the download address stretches over 2 lines with a few blanks in between on the first line. Consequently you get only part of the link when you double click because it ends at the first blank. You'll have to compose the complete URL in pieces with copy and paste.

I downloaded the 4.0.3846 package and it installs without any problems and without applying the "clean" uninstall as Parallels proposes above.

8. Bernie Bannin

Bernie Bannin Bit poster

I found a much simpler solution. The downloader defaults to trying to download the .dmg file to your desktop. I changed the destination to a download folder and was then able to proceed with the installation without going through all the pain of uninstalling anything.