Need to reduce Virtual Machine .hdd size

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by drjasonclark, Sep 3, 2009.

1. drjasonclark

drjasonclark Bit poster

I've just migrated from a Macbook Pro with a large hard drive to a Macbook Air, and much smaller hard drive.

My Windows XP .hdd virtual machine was set to 29.55GB. On my macbook air, that means I have no space left on my hard drive. Within the .hdd file, windows XP and my files only take up about 8GB of space.

So I need to reduce the size of the .HDD file.

I am not running smart guard, have no snapshots, and have run the compressor, and defrag my C drive in windows etc.
    None of these things reduce the size of the .hdd file.

I can see how parallels tools lets you increase the size of your virtual machine, but I need to reduce it. Is there any way to do this, or am I stuck with the drive set to this size?

Tnx, Jason

2. Chris Shaffer

Chris Shaffer Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

3. Chris Shaffer

Chris Shaffer Junior Member

I have the same problem. Any suggestions?

4. drjasonclark

drjasonclark Bit poster

External HDD

Replies have taken an age, to a simple question. Can you reduce a virtual machine in size in Parallels.

Latest response is the request to download and install software to take over my machine to look at the virtual .hdd file.
    No way I am allowing that. The thing works, it's just too big.

Should be straight forward to reply yes or no!

Meantime I have moved the .hdd file to an external hard drive, slimline pocket one, and that works. Just have to add a clone of under back up process.