ExpressCard Compatability

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BigPoppa, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

Wanted to get it on the list. The XP VM will not use the Verizon Express card passthrough networking to the VM as it does the other internal adapters. I have to actually install the windows software for the card to get it to work. It would be MUCH easier if it used the passthrough.

2. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

3. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

Thanks

OUCH! Thanks for taking the time to post it, it does work! It just seems easier to use VZManager in the VM. I can't believe that it has to be this tough. Camon Parallels guys help us out here. VMWare uses it fine with no software installed on the MAC or VM.

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

BigPoppa,

The Verizon issues have been discussed here some time ago:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=5540

In short: Verizon should work just fine in Shared Networking mode. You don't have to set up OSX Internet Sharing for that. What you need to check is:
    1. The Network Location that activates Verizon adapter contains Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT both active. This depends on which software you've installed first Parallels or VZ.
    Make 'sudo /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/PvsvnicConfigure' to add Parallels configurations to Verizon Location.
    2. You may need to 'sudo killall -HUP pvsnatd' after you've connected via Verizon.

5. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

Can you explain that in english for us non technical types?

As a note, I do not have to install any software in OSX to have the V640 work. It just does out of the box. I only had to install software on the Windoze VM side to get it working then disable it on the MAC side.

Also,

What does this mean?

2. If you see a Verizon (just guessing) there -- click it. Now, select Network Port Configurations from the Show dropdown. Are Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT on the list?
    3. If not, please create port configuration for by clicking New button and selecting en3.

Just type in "Parallels Host-Guest" in the name line and pick en3? Why wouldn't I pick the EVDO card?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  6. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

Ok. I got it working. Man o Man...lol. After all this configuration, the only thing that I had to do left was to select Shared Networking. Then it worked. SIgh. LOL

Has to be a simpler way to get it working than all that config.

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

Sorry for being too cryptic.

I'm assuming you have OSX connected to Internet via V640 and want your VM to use this connection. MarkHolbrook posted a link that explains how to do it using OSX Internet Sharing feature.
    I don't quite see why you had to disable your V640 on the Mac. Are you trying to attach it to VM as USB device?
    Things are simpler if you set your VM to Shared Networking mode. You don't need VZ software installed in the VM to have internet access. You should try it to see if just works.
    The only difficulty you may have is if OSX Location (locations are OSX network configurations) that brings up V640 has Parallels adapters disabled. To check if this is the case open OSX System Preferences -> Network, open Locations dropdown at the top and see how many are there. If you have more than one, select the location with checkmark.
    Now select Port Configurations from the Show dropdown. Can you see Parallels NAT and Parallels Host-Guest on the big list?
    If not don't add any port configurations just yet. Let me know of your progress first.

EDIT: OK, I see you've figured it tou already.

8. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

Thanks Serv. The way I actually got it working was a meld of you other thread where I created the Parallels Host-Guest and the Parallels-NAT then restarting the machine. Connected the mac cia the 640, started the VM then picked sharing mode, then whamo!

No VZ needed either location.

Have a weird question, why doesn't parallels install the Host-Guest and NAT thing automaticly? This would be a HUGE benefit to us less technical MAC users. Out of defualt I would have tried the Shared Mode and it would have worked LOL. Just thinking about how to make it easier on the noobs like me in the world.

Thanks again.

9. serv

serv Forum Maven

Parallels does install Parallels Host-Guest and the Parallels-NAT automatically. One problem is that ethernet drivers fail to unload/load cleanly in OSX sometimes (Parallels brings in one) and the installation only goes half-way. This affects upgrading users. The other problem is that you may create a new location for Verizon and not enable Parallels adapters for it.
    In both cases you can open OSX Terminal and execute 'sudo /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/PvsvnicConfigure' to recreate necessary configuration for Parallels adapters.

10. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

When I try and run that command it comes back with:

sudo: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels: command not found

I cut and pasted:

sudo /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/PvsvnicConfigure

Into the Term Window

11. serv

serv Forum Maven

Oops... You have to put backslash before space in Parallels Desktop like this:
    sudo /Applications/Parallels/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/PvsvnicConfigure

12. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

Perfect!

Thanks! You da MAN!