While attempting to perform the recent update to 4.0.3846

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rolaids, Sep 5, 2009.

1. rolaids

rolaids Bit poster

While attempting to perform the recent update to 4.0.3846, I get the following message

"One or more files necessary to update the software are missing.

Contact the Parallels Support team for assistance"

Any ideas?

2. BhavinJ

BhavinJ Bit poster

I get this SAME error..

I have tried changing download locations but still get the error after entering my admin password...

I am using 10.6 Snow Leopard by the way

Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

3. BhavinJ

BhavinJ Bit poster

after about 5 seconds on panic, i just went to this link: http://www.parallels.com/uk/download/desktop/

click on the DOWNLOAD NOW button and a link will be sent to your inbox (you have to logged in on the parallels website obviously)

dmg downloaded and installed ok :)

4. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

HI,

I'm seeing the same problem as well. It keeps re-occurring as well. Does it mean this update has been withdrawn or is there a problem on the parallels server end?

Regards
    Kevin

5. rolaids

rolaids Bit poster

That fixed it...

BhavinJ, you are correct.

I logged into my parallels account, and selected Parallels Desktop for Mac from the Download menu.

(I'm running Snow Leopard too)

Thanks!

6. KevinClarke

Hi Rolaids and BhavinJ,

I have not tired this yet, but will give it a go as well. I'm running 10.5 Leopard, I assume this does not matter.?

Regards
    Kevin

7. unfletch

unfletch Bit poster

I get the same error, and found the download page, but after logging in no email ever arrives. I've tried a few times now, the first more than a week ago. (My email address is correct and there's nothing from Parallels in my spam folder.)

Anyone have any other suggestions?

8. KevinClarke

9. unfletch

unfletch Bit poster

Thanks, Kevin. That worked for me too.

I wish Parallels would wise up and post the direct download link themselves. (And/Or fix the in-app update mechanism.) This has been the most frustrating experience I've had with a software company in some time. It's definitely enough to make me give VMWare another look next time Parallels releases a paid-upgrade.

10. KevinClarke

Hi Unfletch,

Glad to hear it worked for you as well. I do agree with you. I had to ping their support email to obtain this direct link. I have since made them aware about such issues being discussed in the forum.

The next hurdle(s) is Snow Leopard and windows 7 (when that is out in Oct) After reading some of the issues in the forum about upgrading to Snow Leopard again it is unclear if a rebuild or not is required...

Regards
    kevin