Update: Parallels Desktop 4.0 Build 3846 is available

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Andrew @ Parallels, Aug 30, 2009.

1. beta_coolbreezer

beta_coolbreezer Bit poster

2. beta_coolbreezer

3. beta_coolbreezer

the upgrade is free if your already using 4.0....if i recall you have all upgrades for a year and 4.0 is less then that. oddly enough only place i saw to download was on the site showwing the $ you have to pay as well, however when you download, your old version of parallels acknowledges you already have a key.

4. CoryD

CoryD Bit poster

Shader 3

When will Shader 3 be supported? Are there plans to support it?

Cory

5. VladislavK

VladislavK Bit poster

Russian update

I list all the versions and didn't find the update for russian version.
    The same as China (i don't have china license, only russian).
    when the update will be released?

6. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Bit poster

This is where I am too; why doesn't my installed software see the update is available? Is "Check for Updates" a broken feature?

7. TORON

TORON Bit poster

UPDATE CRASHES Can not install.

4.0.3846 update was offered to me when I run Paralles. I've just purchased it a few days ago and activated it.

When I run it it asks me for my password so the updater can make changes.
    Tells me it will run a program to see if software can be installed.
    I continue
    Get the Introduction page and click on continue
    I get the Read Me page and continue
    License page.. continue
    Agree to the terms "Agree" clicked on
    Customer Experience Program... click on "CONTINUE"
    Click NO or YES and it just crashes and exits out of program.

Tried many times, same results.

8. irwinl

irwinl Bit poster

I started P4 and got a message that a new version was available. I clicked install, it started to download the new version then failed with an error (I didn't write it down).

I restarted P4, it again told me that there was an upgrade available, and it resumed the download after I again clicked install. This time it finished the download and kicked off the install script (of course it told me to shut down P4 to continue). The install completed successfully as well and it looks like P4 is working fine.

Hopefully this fixes the cpu utilization issues.

9. TORON

TORON Bit poster

Every hour getting same message to upgrade Parallels and every time it crashes when I do. STILL waiting for a reply.

10. tokurvin

tokurvin Bit poster

I have the exactly same problem...

11. PreferredC

PreferredC Bit poster

I clicked download from here: http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

I then received an email and clicked on the link Parallels sent to in email. The download started and finished within a few minutes. I then clicked the install icon and installation went smoothly. I had not one problem downloading or installing including not being asked for a key. I had 4.0.3844 installed and verified that I now have 4.0.3846. I am running Snow Leopard (32bit mode) with a WindowsXP VM.

I am going to now re-start in 64bit mode to see how Parallels and WindowsXP behave.

12. PreferredC

PreferredC Bit poster

I switched to 64 bit in Snow Leopard and Parallels seems to be running fine.

13. cabeandsuz1

cabeandsuz1 Bit poster

Update problem

The update is offered to me when I run Parallels. I click "install", and it asks for my password, but then gives me this error message:

"Updating failed as there was an error reading the Parallels Updater configuration file."

Any ideas??
    Thanks

14. ronb

ronb Bit poster

Update Preference

We're in a corporate environment and don't automatically update without testing in the lab. It appears, however, that setting the users preference to NOT notify users of updates is being ignored. I've set the Update preference to NOT check for updates on a users machine, but this was AFTER she had already started receiving an update notification from Parallels. So now that it knows there's an update, it keeps popping up each day to notify her of the update, regardless of the preference to not check.
    Has anyone else seen this? Is this a known issue, or maybe Parallels doesn't see this as an issue at all and is really wanting users to keep up with their updates. I just don't want the users getting hassled constantly!

...Ron

15. PawełP

PawełP Bit poster

Not for everyone?

Hi Andrew,

Parallels is great company - I really like your products. But can you please be precisely when announcing news?

Why Parallels Desktop 4 Mac edition (build 4886) is not available for polish customers? When will it be? Why are you delaying builds for some languages? Is this Parallels upgrade and SUS program policy?

My VM is not working after upgrading to Snow Leopard. I started to regret, that I bought polish license key instead of buying english one.

Is release date of build 4886 known for PL PD 4.0 Mac?

Regards
    Pawel

16. brooksy

brooksy Bit poster

Shut down these running and suspended Virtual Machines

After installing Snow Leopard i found to my horror that parallels would not work. So I purchased 4.0 on line and downloaded the file. When I run the set up it says "Shut down these running and suspended Virtual Machines"
    Obviously I can not do this as parallels 3.0 will not work now - how do i overcome this problem?

AB

17. John Byrd

John Byrd Bit poster

Shut down these running and suspended Virtual Machines

I am in exactly the same situation.
    I have tried restarting my Mac and running install but end up at the same place -
    The window saying I needed to shut down VISTA.

I hope there is a solution to this problem!

18. brooksy

brooksy Bit poster

shutdown these virtual and running machines

Hi this is the response I've had from parallels

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Parallels Technical Support.

1. Go to the following locations and look for your old Virtual Machine folder (the Virtual Machine folder will have the name of your Virtual Machine).
    (User) -> Documents -> Parallels
    (User) -> Library -> Parallels
    2. Inside the Virtual Machine folder look for any files that ends with an extension .mem or .sav and delete them.
    3. Restart your computer and then try to install Parallels Desktop 4.0 again.

Please let is know the status of the issue.

Thanks,

19. Russell Zimmerman

Russell Zimmerman Bit poster

After installing Parallels Desktop 4.0 Build 3846 I restarted my iMac as directed. But then, when I attempted to start up Parallels, I received the following error message:

You can't open the application Parallels Desktop.app because the Classic environment is no longer supported.

I have no idea what that means, nor why I am unable to start Parallels up now.

20. nemodomi

nemodomi Bit poster

A note of appreciation.

Just wanted to express a quick "thank you" to all you guys and gals out there who having been volunteering to serve as beta (gamma?) testers for all this new stuff ... Snow Leopard, Build 3846, and upcoming Windows 7. I reckon I'll sit back and watch how everything pans out, and get around to upgrading to the entire set of new toys right around Thanksgiving or Christmas, after much of the dust has settled.