Timeline for Direct3D?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by speelurker, Apr 20, 2006.

1. wesley

wesley Pro

You know, it's interesting... the other day I was playing a 3D racing game from Shockwave website via Parallels. It must be independent from Direct3D or OpenGL completely.

2. pogi

pogi Member

Ok.. so I went ahead and bought a 2ghz macbook.

I tried out SwiftShader with RC2, and let me say..

WOW!! It works!!!
    It is a little slow (expected) and it wouldn't go full screen, but other than that it worked great!

....just wanted everyone to know it works.

3. omero

omero Member

Good to know it works!

But I would still be interested in having opengl implemented in windows. Any chance to have this? Any chance to have this accelerated?

OpenGL should be more do-able since the mac affinities (OSX is based on openGL, direct-x is 100% m$ stuff instead).

4. tehnix

tehnix Bit poster

I've tried SwiftShader with the final version, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I tried launching the demos, and I get the loading cursor for about 4 seconds, then it just stops and fails to do anything.

I've looked in dxdiag, and it DOES recognize direct3d in it after I setup SwiftShader, but the tests in there fail aswell.

Has anyone gotten it working? Some programs like the topic creater said, are very light but just require direct3d for the most basic stuff, this is kind of aggitating that I am unable to run them when it wouldn't even be a performance issue.

5. speelurker

speelurker Member

SwiftShader works in build 1848

I can confirm the other post. Swiftshader does indeed run now in Parallels (build 1848). I'm seeing a couple of drawing issues but it may be a problem with my application dealing with Swiftshader and not Swiftshader itself. All of their DX8 and DX9 demos now run with no crashes and only one visual artifact that I could detect.

Thank you Parallels!

BTW, I did eventually get a response from TransGaming. They said this wasn't their target market. I mentioned the popularity of Parallels and the great desire for a solution expressed in the forums and didn't hear anything more from them. I do wonder what strategy Parallels is working on though:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/08/parallelswwdc/index.php

6. skaro

skaro Bit poster

Hi

How did you get it working in 1848? I have downloaded the SwiftShader demo, but when i try using the dxdiag utility all of the tests fail.

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Cheers,
    Skaro!

7. Cowboy_X

Cowboy_X Bit poster

Any news on basic DirectX support? I bought Parallels for website testing, and MSIE6 uses DirectX for alpha blending. Every hack that exists for enabling alpha PNGs requires DirectX too.

I'm about to try SwiftShader, I'll let everyone know how that works out in a bit.

8. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

Would be nice to play Windoez games inside of the VM. I.E. Guild Wars, Everquest, etc.

It a bummer to have to bootcamp it to get them running.

9. Cowboy_X

Cowboy_X Bit poster

^^ nope, Swiftshader appears to be useless for MSIE 6's filtering system/craziness

10. wonkcity

wonkcity Bit poster

Neeeeed -- Waaant DirectX

I am sure I speak for myself and many others as we continue to say we truly desire DirectX capability in Parallels.

11. armisis

armisis Bit poster

Directx Support

The other virtulation system vm thingy has released 5.5 with experimental directx support, so hopefully Parallels will pick it up soon correct?

Thanks

Dave

12. solex

solex Bit poster