XP won't load after 10.6.1 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Adam Hoover, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Adam Hoover

Adam Hoover Bit poster

This morning, I upgraded to 10.6.1, hoping it would fix the problems I've encountered with Snow Leopard.

After the upgrade, I opened Parallels and tried to start my Win XP Pro virtual machine. It won't boot up. I get a blue screen error message saying:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

It then tries to reboot and give me options for booting in Safe Mode. None of them work, only loading to the same blue screen error message.

In desperate need of help - this a work-critical machine.

2. Salamat

Salamat Member

Not that it gets you any further, but that sounds like an XP problem rather than Parallels. Any backups?

Salamat

3. Adam Hoover

Adam Hoover Bit poster

That seems unlikely - it ran fine yesterday and today, after the update - BSOD. The error message it's giving me is 0x00000024, which has something to do with the hard drive. Since XP doesn't actually have its own hard drive, it seems it would have to be related to Parallels and Snow Leopard not playing nice together.

4. Peter Monahan

Peter Monahan Bit poster

Try repairing your disk permissions in OSX using Disk Utility.

Peter

5. SeanD

SeanD Bit poster

same here

I'm having exactly the same problem, also after upgrading to 10.6.1

6. speeDemon7676

speeDemon7676 Bit poster

Same Issue

I too am not able to even install a fresh version of XP pro. The install fails right about Saving Settings step after installing devices. Mine always seems to stop right at 9 Minutes left....

7. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Could you provide us with a screenshot of the message you get? You can take a picture of your screen with the Command + Shift + 3 key combination, a picture will appear on your Mac's desktop.

Thank you.