Cannot use internet in vitual machine after upgrade to 3846 (using Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by John L, Sep 9, 2009.

1. John L

John L Bit poster

Hello,

I've been a longtime parallels user and had no major trouble until today. I upgraded to Snow Leopard last week and things were still working fine but I was using the old build of parallels. Now, after I've upgraded to 3846, my network adapter won't find an IP address in Windows XP. I've tried almost everything suggested in some of the earlier threads.

I've read and followed the advice here:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5557
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5664

I've tried both shared and bridged connections (bridged was working since I installed the VM software 3 years ago)
    I've tried resetting the default settings in the "Configure virtual machine"
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels (inclluding removing the settings) to no avail.
    I've reinstalled the tools without success
    I've tried the command line patch solution referenced here: http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=377173&postcount=16

I'm now at my wits end. Please help. I'm not sure what else to do.

2. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

just a guess, have u played with Shared/Bridged settings in PD config? maybe one of those were changed during the upgrade...

3. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello John,

Could you please send me the screen shot of the internet explorer page and also of Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig/all.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Junior Member

I agree. I'm having the same problems. I installed the patch (I'm running the current Parallels). One time the internet worked but on reboot it stopped again. All is fine on the Mac Side

Bob

5. John L

John L Bit poster

Here is the screenshot

[​IMG]

6. Robert Harris

Still no connection or poor one

Here's my ipconfig in windows too

Attached Files:

7. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Launch Parallels Desktop.

2. Stop the Virtual Machine.

3. Go to Configure --> Click on "-"(minus) symbol which you will see in the bottom of the window and remove Network Adapter.

4. Restart the Virtual Machine.

5. Once again stop the Virtual Machine and go to Configure.

6. Click on "+"(plus) symbol which you will see in the bottom of the window and add Network Adapter.

7. Restart the Virtual Machine.

If it does not resolve the issue then please follow the steps below:
    1. Boot Windows in Safe Mode by hitting F8 (Fn+F8) during its boot screen.
    Go to "My Computer" - "C" Drive - "Program Files" - "Parallels" folder and delete the "Parallels Tools" folder.
    2. Click the Windows "Start" menu -> "Run" and type "regedit". Hit OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, go to "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Parallels" and delete the "Parallels Tools" entry.
    4. Reboot Windows
    5. Now re-install Parallels Tools from the Parallels Desktop menubar when Windows is running .

8. Ronlap

Ronlap Junior Member

The deinstall/reinstall step did not work for me on my aluminum iMac running 10.6.1 and Parallels Tools will not reinstall. Clicking on the "Reinstall Parallels tools item brings up the dialog box but then doesn't install the tools. Nothing shows up in the CDROM drive as the dialog says.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

First of all, it seems that John and Robbert Harris have different problems.

Robert, the problem in your case is likely cause by too stricted Firewall ((For example, Kaspersky) settings. Please try to disable it first. If it won't help, there will be more investigation.

John please make sure that your are using Shared networking and send a problem report using menu Help->"Report a problem". Then post here its number

10. Robert Harris

Kapersky indeed

Elric
    Before I read your post I had uninstalled and reinstalled the Parallels and then things really slowed down. I looked at what was happening and decided Kapersky was gooing up the mess, so I removed it. Now things are working properly again.. so something in the Kapersky not only interfered with the internet and Snow Leopard but it also slowed down my programs from launching and running after a reinstall..so I'm just going to run with AVG for now

Thanks for the help.. it was real torture..but I'm there now..

Bob

11. Ronlap

Ronlap Junior Member

Uninstall and reinstall of Parallels itself solved the problem for me. The uninstall took quite a while with the process stuck on stopping some process for 10 minutes.

12. John L

John L Bit poster

I tried what Anupama A suggested but still no luck. I've sent a problem report as suggested. ID 516767.

13. Kevin W

Kevin W Bit poster

Anupama,

I did all the things you suggested above, but still no internet in windows.

I have Build 4.03844 (Parallels says I have the latest update....won't allow me to update to 3846).
    Running Snow Leopard on a MB PRo and trying to run Windows XP and internet explorer.

Here are screenshots that you requested:
    [​IMG]

http://img.skitch.com/20090913-bjhh8g2d5adeqfp3jcc93u27ud.jpg

Please help!!!!!

14. Timmeh

Timmeh Bit poster

I seem to be in the same position as John L. PD4 (update 3848) running on Snow Leopard, with Windows XP VM that has no network connectivity.

Problem report 529782 logged.

Will keep an eye out for a solution.

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

John, according to the problem report your network Adapter is in the "Bridged Networking" mode. Please switch to "Shared Networking".

If this won't help, please start the /Application/Utilities/Terminal and type in it "sudo killall -HUP prl_naptd" (without quotes) then post the problem report.

Also, according to the Problem Report, you have "Little Snitch" running. Please give all access to the network to the process "prl_naptd". It is the process responsible for the networking.

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

There is an important message at start of VM (as you have noticed in the Problem Report):
    When starting a windows XP VM I get an error message saying that 'Network Connection 1 cannot be used'. Please try http://kb.parallels.com/en/6317

17. Timmeh

Timmeh Bit poster

Thanks Elric!!

Worked a treat.

18. Mark C

Mark C Bit poster

Shared Networking will not work after 3846 upgrade

Can Paralles please help, i have tried uninstall/reinstall and nothing works. Running simple XP with Snow leapard and not matter what I do, I can't not use shared networking.
    Please help

19. John L

John L Bit poster

I must have had it on bridged only temporarily. I've switched back to Shared and its still not working. I added the process in Little Snitch, though I doubt that is the problem since all programs have access to the network. I've run the command as you suggested and posted Problem ID 547206. Thanks for you help so far.

20. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It is strange. According to the problem report, there should be no problems with network.

Unfortunately, in the post #5 with screenshot of ipconfig /all the VM was in the middle of getting IP address. Please shutdown the VM, make sure it is in SharedNetworking and boot it up again. Then post here the output of ipconfig /all one more time.

Also, please execute in the same cmd.exe next 4 commands: "ping 10.211.55.1", "ping 74.125.79.105" (it is one of the addresses of www.google.com) and "ping www.google.com". Then post here the results if ping will not work. For example, correct work of ping www.google.com is