1. Michael Shade

Michael Shade Bit poster

I've installed Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.1), and am trying to upgrade from Parallels 3 to 4. However the Parallels 4 Installer is insisting I close XP down before it will install - it seems I must have neglected to close it down last time I used it under Parallels 3.

You know what's coming next - I can't get to XP to close it down because my current VM is Parallels 3 and Parallels 3 doesn't run under Snow Leopard . . . and I can't install PD4 to close it down because (back to paragraph 1).

Is there any way I can close down XP without actually being in the Parallels environment?

I couldn't find this covered elsewhere in these forums - apologies if I missed it.

Grateful thanks for any help,

Michael

2. Salamat

Salamat Member

3. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello Michael,

I understand that you are not able to upgrade Parallels because of suspended virtual machine error.

To resolve the issue, you need to rename folder containing your virtual machines; the default location for virtual machine files is ~/Documents/Parallels.

1. In Finder, rename ~/Documents/Parallels/ to ~/Documents/Parallels-3/ (for example). To rename the folder, right-click or control-click Parallels folder, select Get Info and enter new name under Name & Extension section.

2. Install Parallels Desktop 4 from installation disk or using installation package.

3. Move your virtual machines from ~/Documents/Parallels-3/ to ~/Documents/Parallels/.

4. Start Parallels Desktop 4 and upgrade (convert) your virtual machines.

In Parallels Desktop menu select File > Open..., locate your virtual machine folder in ~/Documents/Parallels/, find file with extension .pvs and click Open.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/6659