PD4 & Boot Camp: Unable to connect to hard disk 1

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Caesar

Caesar Bit poster

I was getting the same error up to today; now PD4.0 works again with my BC partition.

Try this:
    - disable the HD in Virtual Machine Configuration > Hardware > Hard Drive
    - quit PD4
    - now open PD4 and re-enable the HD in VMC (select the right HD and be sure to set it as a BootCamp HD)
    - try to boot the VM and everything should work (for me worked like a charm and after Windows booted up I had to reinstall Parallels Desktop Tools because the installer started up automatically).

PS: I've Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 on my BC partition.

2. Santex

Santex Bit poster

Same Problem

Hi I guess I've the same problem.
    I followed any suggestion posted in this 3d but i still have the

"Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk."

error message. As far as I see it's something that is going on since a long time as now.
    Christmas time has gone... it's time to fix it, please help.

Santex

3. DaveOrZach

DaveOrZach Bit poster

Same Problem

I have the same error as everyone else in this thread. I have been a loyal customer since 1.0. when will this issued be resolved?

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

5. robertsj3

robertsj3 Bit poster

Same problem

Same problem. Please help. Report ID 88623.

6. Lorne Johnson

Lorne Johnson Bit poster

Same problem. Report ID 91073.

With the number of folks experiencing this problem, I hope a fix is coming soon...

lj

7. mattr2

mattr2 Junior Member

Here's how I fixed my problem.

I went into the Parallels Configuration --> Hardware --> Hard Disk 1 -->

1) Change from "Boot camp partition" to "image file"

If that does not work, then play wit the IDE location. I switched to 1:0 and viola, I was in business.

8. robertsj3

robertsj3 Bit poster

After an incredible amount of frustration, limited help from parallels support and no success with the steps in http://kb.parallels.com/en/5734, I tried unmounting my boot camp partition from disk utility and that finally got it to work.

There's got to be a better way folks...

9. Jason Bain

Jason Bain Bit poster

disk permissions

I had the same problem. I used OS X disk utility and clicked repair permissions on my OS X HDD. This, for some reason, fixed my problem and my boot camp partition works perfectly. Good Luck!

10. David Walkner

David Walkner Bit poster

I noticed the newest NTFS 3g driver cannot unmount using Parallels 4.0 and load the operating system. I have to manually eject/unmount the partition to use it in Parallels and/or fallback to the NTFS driver for windows.

11. naven87

naven87 Bit poster

I created a Problem Report 164494, is that what you need or the web form? I had no issues with Parallels for quite a while and now I'm getting the error message once a day, and I have to race to shutdown windows before it crashes. I'm not sure what the right course of action is, or where I can look to start half splitting the problem.

12. Lorne Johnson

Lorne Johnson Bit poster

I reported this problem to Parallels back in March (Report ID 91073) and have heard nothing. After getting tired of having to go through hoops to get my Boot Camp partition to start in Parallels I decided to try VMware Fusion. Works like a charm. No problems at all using it to run using my Boot Camp partition! I'll continue to test it out before I buy, but may end up making the switch if Parallels support continues to lack.

lj

13. frigginjoe

frigginjoe Bit poster

Wow, what may be years later, I decided to go with Parallels v4 and this same annoyance got me.
    I can't believe this issue is still around.
    There's no reason people should still have to fix this on their own to this day. This has been around since boot camp support itself.

VWware worked without a problem. Please address this already. It appears since day one there's a trick you can do or file you can edit, but that shouldn't still be necessary.

14. hanspeterh

hanspeterh Junior Member

Yea newest Version on SL 32 bit and the same Problem again whit BC ! For the moment Help was edit the hDD in PD and then again the HDD ! The BC has a HDD for it self !

i am dispapoinet still this old silly problem !Yea Vmware work good and its faster on my Mac Pro !(still faster i mus type my Admn PW))

greetings from Europe
    hans

15. KingRichard1st

KingRichard1st Bit poster

I might just have found the problem and fixed it!!!!!!!!!

Hi All,
    I have had this issue driving me nuts for a while and tried all sorts of 'fixes'! Whilst reading up on hd mounting via NTFS I remembered i had NTFS-3G installed and this was mounting my bootcamp partition instead of the standard OSX drivers.
    Ssssssssssso... I set NTFS-3G to NOT mount my bootcamp partition and thus the OSX drivers take over and voila! Parallels now works with my Windows 7 test bootcamp partition!
    I do hope this helps most if not all of you as I understand your frustrations very well indeed! :-D

16. hanspeterh

hanspeterh Junior Member

thanks for your reply
    i have a beta version from ntfs 3g i cant unistall unter SL but i put i on Trash. But i dont help !
    Even i dsable NTFS for Mac from Paragon still the message whit disk 1 !
    funny vmware same machine same confgiruation NO Problem! i minute after i qiut PD i can see my bootcamp in Vmware!

Only PD has this Problem ! Relly silly so such a old bug not possible to FIX?

sincerly from europe

hans

17. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Can you create problem report when you receive such message and post its number here? I'll check what happened with Parallels Desktop.

18. hanspeterh

hanspeterh Junior Member

hi

thanks for your Reply i make a Report whit this ID 562748, this happen also in 64 Bit Modus! And Boot camp has a HOLE HDD alone ( i have a mac Pro) and also to power up( when it works) it take 3 min or more. The other Virtual Programm make this in Half of time ! Even whit admin pw type in! Same machine whit 6 GB Ram and one 2.8 GHZ Quard core CPU !

sincerly

hanspeter

19. Ynot

Ynot Pro

I need to check here, that Spotlight is not preventing the volume to be umounted. As workkaround i can suppose to manually umount windows volume.

20. hanspeterh

hanspeterh Junior Member

no Spotligth dont indicate the win partion as it slow down very mutch my Sl 32 bit i dont let spotligt see my Win files!
    under 64 bit the same error come. But there i cant see my Win partion. I quess Apple driver is only 32 bit??
    thanks

greetings from europe
    hanspeter