4.0.3846 disappearing update windows

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Robert Fenerty, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Robert Fenerty

Robert Fenerty Bit poster

Hi,

Auto-update downloaded 4.0.3846 successfully onto my MBP running 10.6.1. and asked me to install. When I agreed to install the update, I am prompted for my password, which I enter. Then I got a large window with "Continue" at the bottom. Here's the fun part: that window disappears before I can press "Continue."

Being a big fan of "Whack-a-Mole" I decide to see if I can position my cursor in just the right spot when I'm next prompted. That works, and then a different window pops up (also requiring confirmation) and then disappears. You get the idea. Having now grown tired of Whack-a-Mole and lacking the motor skills of a 7 year old, I mounted the "ParallelsDesktop-nova_development-en_US-4.0.3846.436367.dmg" file, uninstalled Parallels via the pretty pop-up screen, restarted, re-installed via the same DMG, and Bob's you uncle.

Hope this helps someone.

Robert

2. tscrutchin

tscrutchin Bit poster

Thanks that worked like a charm

I was having the same problem. I will add that technique to my bag of tricks.

Thanks again

3. accinsp

accinsp Bit poster

I am also having this problem. I have snow leopard 10.6.1 installed on my MBP. I am also getting a ghost image of ParallelsDesktop-nova_development-en_US-4.0.3846.436367.dmg on my desktop. I have deleted this file no less than 10 times, but every time I open parallels, the image reappears. I have not been able to install the new update at all and now I cannot get rid of the dmg file.

4. Diana GR

Diana GR Bit poster

a file to install

My problem is a bit different. During a dual upgrade to Parallels today, I got the message:

A file to install
    /Users/dianagrobertson/Desktop/ParallelsDesktop-nova_development-en_US-4.0.3846.436367.dmg
    is not found.

Diana is my wife as means of explanation. I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8.

Any ideas? Parallels seems to be working fine with the occasional exception of having to turn off file sharing due to extreme CPU usage.

Dave
    Salt Lake City