parallels tools won't install on mac os

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Danielle, Aug 29, 2007.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you try to delete PRL CDROM right from device manager

2. dan winter

dan winter Bit poster

can update parallels tools - in mac

hi - I just upgraded to the latest 4 version parallels
    as I transferred to my new mac book pro

now get message cannot download file to - upgrade parallels tools

I bought parallels and paid for 4 some time back

I don't remember having a CD?

what do I do
    Dan winter
    danwinter@goldenmean.info

3. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

4. grebel.malo

grebel.malo Bit poster

I've got the same problem to upgrading parallels 4.0

I can not be able to install PT ...when I click on this option there is nothing to happen

Malo

5. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hello,

This is normal situation in follow cases:

1. Auto start from CD/DVDROM switched off in your guest Windows - in this case just open CDROM and start installation manually
    2. You have non-Windows guest (Linux) - in this case just manually mount device /dev/cdrom to some mount point and start install script from it
    3. You do not have guest OS at all - in this case install last one at first

6. SusanH

SusanH Bit poster

Same problem.

MacBook Pro, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB SDRAM @ 667 MHz, MacOS 10.4.11.

Just upgraded to Parallels 4.0 from Parallels 2.5 that I'd been running for years.

I click "Install Parallels Tools," I get the intro screen, I click "Continue," and nothing happens. There isn't any vmtools.iso file in my library. I have prl-tools-win.iso and prl-tools-mac.iso . I've connected each of these and installation still doesn't happen.

Help! Thanks.

7. aak

aak Member

Hi, everybody!

Please try following for Windows virtual machines:
    1. Connect image /Library/Parallels/Tools/prl-tools-win.iso to VM's CD-Rom
    2. In guest Windows go to your CD
    3. Start 'setup.exe' located on CD by double clicking on respective executable.
    4. Follow wizard

8. NarainderG

NarainderG Bit poster

Can't install P - Tools

Installed latest version of Parallels Desktop 4 for Mac with Win-XP-professional. Parallel tools won't install. Ist screen says "Failed to install Parallel Time Synchronization Driver" and when you click OK, the next screen message is" An error occured while installing parallel Tools. Click OK to restart your virtual machine, and then try to install parallels tools again".

I restarted and same set of messages were reported.

Please help.

Thanks

9. gpc

gpc Bit poster

Upgrade hung at step 2 "searching for new devices"

Converting my v3.0 VM to v4.0 after installing/upgrading to parallels for Mac 4.

I did # 2 and # 3 below. Now I've been at "Step 2 of 4", "searching for new devices" for an hour. Parallels Desktop is continually using 18% of CPU. prl_vm_app is using 2.5% CPU. No disk activity or network activity. Blue progress bar is half way across and not progressing any further. It's looking like I'll have to kill Parallels Desktop process and hope I can do something with the VM backup copy if the converted copy is ruined.

10. vitalb

vitalb Parallels Developers

Please,
    Try to install Parallels Tools again. Wait the error, click OK.
    Wait while guest Windows will rebooted.
    Create probem report (menu Help - Report a problem). Remember Problem ID.
    Make official support request in this case:
    http://www.parallels.com/en/support/

Thank you.

11. gpc

gpc Bit poster

Thanks, vitalb. Later I found a solution in another thread -- clicking on the padlock icon to get back to manual install mode. Once in manual mode with Win XP on screen again, I found a Win XP alert that the auto installer couldn't deal with. When I dismissed the alert, the VM conversion continued. But I had to do this again at steps 3 and 4 of the VM conversion as well.