Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3120 RC1 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Jan 10, 2007.

1. tc60045

tc60045 Junior Member

I've avoided beta RC2, but gave in

And Coherence has simply blown my mind.

I am speechless.............

Bravo, gang, bravo.

2. photo

photo Bit poster

Another Beta, Another BlueScreen

As reported before (repeatedly, by myself and others) I am getting Bluescreens at startup (at or after MUP.SYS) when attempting to launch a VM using my Bootcamp partition.:(
    The error is the 7B (Inaccessible boot device) error which so many others have reported.

Mac Pro 2.66, 1GB, 250GB Seagate
    Bootcamp Partition is 32GB FAT32 on the first disk.
    The Bootcamp partition is VANILLA. Besides all the latest Windows patches and the Bootcamp device drivers it has nothing installed on it at all. It works perfectly as a Bootcamp partition.

I have tried disabling virtually all of the VM devices (network etc) to no avail. I have tried different RAM sizes. I have even removed my other hard disks and all USB devices (except the k/b and mouse).

I have reported this error for 3036, 3094, 3106 and now 3120.
    So have other people. We have included screen shots and detailed explanations.

Would someone from Parallels please at least acknowledge that they have read any of these posts and are aware of this problem? The silence is deafening.

3. dotdd

dotdd Junior Member

Thank you Parallels team! Love this software.

BUG: Since Parallels Desktop for Mac 2.5 beta 1, it does not remember the last VM opened as it should be in the older versions. It always display a create new VM dialog instead of opening the last opened VM...

4. GHoptOne

GHoptOne Bit poster

Bump^^^^^^

5. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

in the early days of parallels, i thought using a shared folder was too much trouble. then parallels beta gave us true drag/drop between mac and pc. after the cool factor wore off, paronia started to set in. i ended up setting up a shared watch folder (my downloads folder in osx). i have clamxav watching that folder. stil better than 1970 that made you navigate to a folder...at least i can drag to the osx watch folder from windows.

don

6. ronaldbegg

ronaldbegg Member

It's great these beta's or RC are being offered but I must confess to having experienced some problem issues and have decided to revert to my proven 1790 build for the time being. I have Vista and XP running, no issues at all.

I am sure many 'bugs' have been ironed in this ongoing development process, out but are we really gaining anything substantial until the 'full' release becomes available. Yes, Coherance looks good, but is it essential at this stage?

As far as I am aware, no CD burning is possible nor is it possible to use the iSight for Skype (I know this has long been possible on Boot Camp)

Roll on the final release which I believe may be in February.

Please tell me if I am missing something.

7. BlueTrance

BlueTrance Junior Member

I have just used the "Report a problem" from Parallels.
    I guess that's enough info about my Mac and VM. :)

8. jbcaro

jbcaro Member

Excuse me while I shout.

IT APPEARS THAT PARALLELS HAS DESIGNED THIS VERSION OF THEIR SOFTWARE FOR SINGLE PROCESSOR DUAL-CORE SYSTEMS WITH ONE PHYSICAL HARD DRIVE.

WHY DO I SAY THIS? BECAUSE THEIR SOFTWARE WILL ONLY UTILIZE ONE CORE EVEN IF IT IS INSTALL ON A MAC PRO WHICH HAS 4 CORES.

ALSO, THE SOFTWARE APPEARS TO ONLY UTILIZE THE BOOT CAMP COPY OF WINDOWS IF IT IS ON THE SAME PHYSICAL DRIVE THAT OSX IS ON (AT LEAST IN ALL THE CONFIGURATIONS THAT I HAVE TRIED, AND FROM WHAT I HAVE READ THAT OTHERS HAVE TRIED). THIS AGAIN IGNORES THE MAC PRO USERS THAT HAVE MULTIPLE DRIVES AND HAVE WINDOWS BOOT CAMPED TO A SEPERATE PHYSICAL DRIVE. ALSO, IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WINDOWS PARTITION THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT RUN. NOT GOOD FOR THOSE THAT REQUIRE ADDITIONAL WINDOWS DRIVES/PARTITIONS FOR APPLICATIONS UNDER BOOT CAMP.

MAYBE THEY ARE SAVING THOSE FEATURES FOR A FUTURE VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE. I DOUBT THAT IT WILL MAKE THIS VERSION SINCE THE CURRENT VERSION HAS REACHED RELEASE CANDIDATE STATUS.

I am finished shouting now.

j

9. lbrettman@dynogen.com

lbrettman@dynogen.com Bit poster

Bootcamp VM hangs on startup

I have installed Parallels 3120 and have tried to set up a bootcamp vm. I can boot into windows via bootcamp just fine, but when i try to set up a bootcamp vm in parallels as soon as the machine starts up and the message that "parallel tools is installing, do not interupt etc" appears, it hang with message on the windows screen which says "boot from hard disk..." It never goes any further. I have to stop the vm eventually. I cannot boot in safe mode either. F8 has no effect. After failing to set up a vm in parallels, when I start up in bootcamp, I get a message that parallel tools could not be installed or something to that effect. In control panel>remove software, no paralells tools appear. My setup is:
    MacBook Pro 15.4", 2.33 ghz, 2gb RAM, Mac OS 10.4.8 and up to date, bootcamp partition 32 gb NTFS, 160 gb hard drive, 700-800 mg of memory for parallels, shared networking. everything else is default. Any help appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  10. elan

elan Junior Member

Are you running APE?

Are you running APE (Application Enhancer) by any chance?

If so, check your logs. I've noticed that sometimes (perhaps more likely when there was memory pressure on the system), APE causes errors that get logged like this "shared_region: 0x7fcb59c: lsf_map: unable to allocate entry". The common side effect is that Rosetta applications don't start. I reported the bug to Unsanity but never heard if they fixed it or not.

-elan

11. Jeff A

Jeff A Bit poster

Garmin 205 not working

Still waiting for Garmin 205 USB support :-(. 3120 still doesn't work. VM Fusion works with Garmin perfectly...

12. wmumpower

wmumpower Bit poster

I have been running my dual screen setup in coherance mode without a major hitch. Prior to the latest Betas my Windows VM was relegated to my secondary monitor. Now I have WinXP and OS X apps floating all over the place. Only issue I've entountered is that when I select any of the WinXP windows, all are brought to the foreground. Not a big deal, though.

Drag and drop seems to be working very well for me as well.

I, too, must be experiencing the memory leaks everyone is talking about. With Parallels (build 3120) running Parallels for a couple of hours or after running WInXP VM for a while shutting it down, then restarting my WinXP VM later, the response time has been slowing to a crawl - unacceptably slow. I've had even to shut down the VM and restart my iMac to overcome the problem.

13. Swift2001

Swift2001 Member

A new problem has cropped up

First, loading the BootCamp partition for the first time took forever in RC1. Once that was done, everything appears as normal. Second time around, Windows has the usual speed.

However, something is wrong with the sceen sizing and blanking. I have to explain that. I have a Dual 2.0 PPC G5 and an Intel Core Duo 1.66 Mac mini, joined together with an ioGear KVM switch. I switch from one to the other with keystrokes; occasionally, on its own, the Mac mini will fail to wake up.

Now, I've tried this a couple of times with the new build: Bootcamp partition loaded in RC1, no other apps opened. I return to the G5, do a task or two, and press the magic keys to go back to the Mini. I get a white screen, like the pre-boot screen where you choose the startup volume, but nothing else. I can click the mouse all I want and nothing changes. I click escape. I know things are happening underneath, as I quit a Windows app I left running -- CNN's video app -- with the appropriate keys, and the sound stopped. But the screen is white and stays white. I haven't found any other way to deal with this other than a hard restart.

14. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

and all these issues been confirmed and documented by the parallels team on previous occasions.

15. Swift2001

Swift2001 Member

To photo:

This is a beta group, running at a smal software company. You run betas at your risk, and you report the problems that you have to be helpful. For a fully-functional version of Parallels, go back to 1970 and wait.

16. BeProf

BeProf Bit poster

I'm having a continuance of a problem that showed up on the last version.

Everytime I open the Parallels Desktop application, I'm being prompted to create a new virtual machine. If I open the .pvs file directly, however, everything works fine.

The virtual machine in question is a Boot Camp based vm and it is the only vm on this machine.

I've trashed all com.parallels.*.plist files, deleting and recreating the VM, and unintalling/reinstalling Parallels Desktop. Still no-go.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8L2127) on a MacBook Pro (17-inch) with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo and 2 GB of factory installed SDRAM.

17. lh99

lh99 Bit poster

Same old Bootcamp problems

With every new beta release, I hope that Parallels for Bootcamp will work. So far, the furthest I've been able to get is an error on startup that says my ntfs.sys file is missing or corrupt. This "Release Candidate" is no different. I realize that this is still an unsupported beta, but if Parallels expects people to pay for their software, major things like this are going to have to be fixed, or at least acknowledged before it's released.

I've considered starting with a fresh install of Windows, but from other users' comments, it sounds like it could be a waste of time. If Parallels tells me that, yes, we're aware of that problem and the only solution is to reformat, that's fine with me...I just want to hear something first.

18. photo

photo Bit poster

Please read my post again, more carefully.

This is a Beta release of a package for which I have paid, largely in the expectation that the Bootcamp features currently being tested will be available in a saleable product in reasonable order.

That is a large part of the reason I have invested a significant chunk of my time in installing and trying to run four different beta versions. I actually use 1970 for my KG VM.

I do not expect the problem which I, and others, are experiencing to be fixed overnight.

I , and others, have notified Parallels about this problem on multiple occasions, complete with diagnostic information, screen shots, hardware information, steps to recreate and steps taken in attempting to eliminate the problem, both via the Beta email address and via this forum.
    A cursory search of the forum will reveal over 30 posts relating to this problem.

In spite of this Parallels have not, as far as I can tell, replied to or acknowledged a single communication about this problem.

Regardless of a company's size, or the intent of their beta programme, that is just poor manners.

19. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Thank you for the reply! That's good to hear and almost makes me upgrade. But the memory leak is troublesome, and I believe it happens in 1970 too. I have a MBP core duo with 2Gb physical memory, 1Gb allocated to a WinXP VM. When I start Parallels it takes up ~40Mb of real memory, increasing to ~500Mb when I boot the VM. After a couple hours that has increased to ~650Mb.

I start the VM in the morning, usually end up rebooting it around lunchtime and then shut it down fully when I go home, never used suspend. If they can get this fixed, suspend will be a fantastic improvement, but as it is I end up rebooting mid-day. And I'm still on 1970...

Mark

20. rhind

rhind Member

FWIW, I haven't used 1970 for a while, but 3120 with 'show live screenshot enabled' is the most stable I've had parallels running XP SP2 and I'm putting quite a fair bit of pressure on the VM.

Cheers

Russell