Palm (Treo 650) sync USB + Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dkellam, Jan 11, 2007.

1. dkellam

dkellam Bit poster

I am trying to sync my PalmOne Treo 650 via Hotsync running on XP Pro SP2 inside Parallels Desktop. I have tried builds 1970, 3036, 3120 all to no avail. I have a MacBook Pro Core2Duo with 2GB RAM.

The bluetooth device is not visible. The USB cable does not show up as a device. Sync via both of these works fine on the Mac. I have tried disabling/enabling HotSync on the mac host; creating virtual serial ports for bluetooth (parallels just says the device is busy) and everything else I could think of. I simply cannot get windows to even recognise the device. It syncs fine via Windows on another box, and via Mac on this box.

About a month ago, I managed to sync it once by using the cable and selecting the USB device in parallels' USB device list between pressing the sync button and HotSync Manager kicking in. Parallels managed to 'take over' the sync. I have since been unable to replicate this feat. Obviously this is not a desired modus operandi, even if it did work.

Please help. I am perplexed by how hard this is.

2. dmacd

dmacd Junior Member

650 sync

I have not been able to sync the 650 through USB since 1970. I have seen a bunch of other folks with the same problem on this forum.

However I have been able to get hotsync to work with bluetooth using SerialClient ( see http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php ). It is much slower than USB syncing but it works.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Did you install a Mac palm sync tool at any time? I sync my Treo using OS X and there is a Palm listener that runs continuously to see if there's a sync request. This will no doubt intercept any sync requests before Windows ever sees it.

Because I sync in OS X I've never bothered to see if it would work in XP.

4. dkellam

dkellam Bit poster

Thanks a bunch. This works well. I'd already tried a serial port, but couldn't get parallels to connect to it. This program seems to work fine.

I'm not too concerned about speed - I'm only syncing one conduit to parallels. The rest goes to my mac via iSync.

For those interested, I'm syncing to Windows so I can run MYOB with mobileezy by ProfitLink for time billing.

5. dkellam

dkellam Bit poster

I had turned off HotSync under OS X. The only other process was Palm Desktop background, which I killed for good measure.

6. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

HotSync Hope Coming?

Yesterday, 11 January, O'Grady's PowerPage caught up with Benjamin Rudolph, Destop's product manager, at MacWorld Expo. The article, which can be found at http://www.powerpage.org/2007/01/mws...few_weeks.html, reports ,"The free update will include full USB and iSight camera support as well as improved 3D graphics and multicore processor support."

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I had some spare time today so installed the Windows Desktop for Treo (I have a model 600). The installatioin went well and the Treo was seen as a USB device but would not sync. I killed the palm programs that were running in OS X and tried again several times and no joy. I presume you've sent in a bug report to the beta@parallels.com address - I've just verified your findings.

The sync works fine in OS X so I don't mind it doesn't work in XP, but I suppose there is something in the Windows desktop version not found in the OS X desktop that makes it important to have Windows sync capability for you. I'll try again when RC2 comes out.

8. jonsun

jonsun Junior Member

Palm USB Hotsynch Still Doesn't Work

Palm USB Hotsynch on Parallels/Windows XP/ MacBook Pro 15 2.16 Core 2 Duo....

Will this ever work ??????

There are synchs that cannot be done without Windows. Has to do with installer scripts that are supplied only as .exe which obviously don't work in OSX. Hotsynch works fine if you use BOOT CAMP native, but won't work if booted in Parallels.

js

9. jonsun

jonsun Junior Member

Thanks, this works

I appreciate this work around. It is slow but at least I can now Hotsynch in the parallels environment. Thanks again.

js

10. bombastinator

bombastinator Member

all I get is garbage

I tried following your link but the download button on the page spits out this giant page of what might be code, but looks more like my cat sat on my keyboard and started licking the question mark key.

Is there something I should be doing with this? Will it work better if i use safari instead of firefox?[/I]

11. koreth

koreth Junior Member

SerialClient is working great for me too. Dog slow but much better than no hotsync at all. I am now camping happily.

bombastinator: Try right-clicking on the download link and selecting "Save Link As..." It's a disk image file.