Log flooded with SCSITaskUserClient kernel messages

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Philipp Ringli, May 6, 2009.

1. Philipp Ringli

Philipp Ringli Junior Member

Hi,

I am having an issue with Parallels 4.0.3810.351321 (what an intuitive serial number!) under OS X 10.5.6.
    I am running Windows XP Pro in it.

When I start up XP in Parallels the log is filled with hundreds of lines like the following:
    Code:
     07.05.09 08:35:20	kernel	SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0 
    Here's the how the log looks, when I start the VM:
    Code:
    07.05.09 08:35:09	kernel	/mon/			Edit bus speed 1073 -> 66	
    07.05.09 08:35:09	kernel	/mon/			Memory initialized (available: 1024 mb, VESA: 128 mb, swap: 1152 mb)	
    07.05.09 08:35:09	kernel	/mon/			[HpcMonitorOpen] Opened successfully	
    07.05.09 08:35:09	kernel	/drv/ HypIoctls.c:675   Parallels hypervisor inited (cpus=16 vtx=Enabled vtd=NO svm=NotPresent phy=PAE lin=x32 mem=6144)	
    07.05.09 08:35:09	kernel	/mon/			[LoadMonitor] Monitor started( ipi vector=71 )	
    07.05.09 08:35:09	kernel	/drv/ HypRealCpu.c:619   CPUs (16) TSC counter calibrating was successful (calibrate time 0 mksek)	
    07.05.09 08:35:09	kernel	/drv/ HypRealCpu.c:619   CPUs (16) TSC counter calibrating was successful (calibrate time 0 mksek)	
    07.05.09 08:35:17	kernel	SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0	
    07.05.09 08:35:17	kernel	SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0	
    07.05.09 08:35:20	kernel	SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0

Thought, I'd post here, before running it by Paralles support and see if others experience the same.

Cheers,
    Philipp

2. Jarl Sobel

Jarl Sobel Bit poster

MacOs 10.5.7 issue?

I use EMC Retrospect 8.0 for backups, and my system.log is also flooded with the same message when I start the RestrospectEngine and allow it to take command over the DVD. Under MacOS 10.5.6. there are no problems.

Doesn't Parallels take command over the DVD in similar way?

3. Chris Tracy

Chris Tracy Bit poster

I am also receiving a lot of messages like the following in my /var/log/system.log, whenever I have Parallels connected to my MacBook Pro's DVD drive:

May 22 11:48:42: --- last message repeated 29 times ---
    May 22 11:48:42 chris-2 kernel[0]: SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0

I have just recently upgraded to OS X 10.5.7, but I am still running an older version of Parallels (3.0 build 5626) because the last time I tried to upgrade to 4.0, my VM would not boot at all...(maybe this is fixed now...)

4. TobiasM

TobiasM Bit poster

Same problem with TimeMachine

Hi,

I am using 10.5.7 with Parallels 3.0 build 5582.

When I have a running VM and a simultaneous running TimeMaching Backup my Ethernet (en0) connection drops, sometime I can not get a correct DHCP address. And so the backup fails.
    My log is also flooded with these:
    10.06.09 11:49:14 kernel SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0

Any help?

Best regards,
    schmunk

5. TobiasM

TobiasM Bit poster

Same problem with TimeMachine

I have 10.5.7 with Parallels 3.0 and got the same problem.
    When I have a running VM and a simultaneous TimeMachine Backup my ethernet (en0) connection drops and my log is also flooded with these:

10.06.09 12:14:13 kernel SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0

6. David Elliott

David Elliott Bit poster

Parallels official reply to this problem ?

Hi Parallels team,

I also have this problem and have been suffering very poor performance with Parallels on my iMac 2.4Ghz with 4GB of ram. Any chance of a comment on this problem ?

Thanks

Dave.

7. Francois Vaillancourt

Francois Vaillancourt Bit poster

Hi Parallels Team,

I have the same problem with Parallels server for mac (build 2232)

Thanks for replying

François

8. David Perez

David Perez Bit poster

log floodes whit SCITaskUserClient kernel messages

hi

my macbook OS 10.5.7 whit 4 gb ram and parallels 4.0.3844 present the same problem

6/16/09 2:29:11 PM kernel SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transferDirection is 0

i disable the dvd in parallels and no take more message the error.

i take the hope the help me

tks

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  9. michaelaye

michaelaye Bit poster

Same here,

it floods approx with 1 Hz and disconnecting the DVD drive stops it.

Macbook PRO 2008 (last before uni-body), 4 GB RAM.

Parallels is the last update for version 3 (build 5638)
    Mac OS X 10.5.7

10. grmensz

grmensz Bit poster

Occurs with latest 4.0 build

Messages generated ONCE per SECOND (as michaelaye indicated).

And disabling CD ROM stops messages.

Mac Pro, 10.5.7.

11. Shmerls

Shmerls Bit poster

I'm using 10.5.7 and Parallels 4. Has anyone on this list mentioned it to tech support?

12. JP Watson

JP Watson Bit poster

Running Desktop v4 (Build 3844) on OS 10.5.7 Server with the same repeated error.

Found a fix (sorta): Disconnect (not disable) the CD/DVD-ROM drive in Parallels.

Doing so stops the errors. As soon as I re-enable the optical drive, the errors return. I won't need the drive often, so leaving it disconnected works for me!

JP

13. dan_nl

dan_nl Bit poster

MacBook Pro
    Mac OS X 10.5.8
    build 4.0.3844

Also having the same SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments statements. When I "Disconnect" the CD/DVD Player the log entries stop. When I re-enable the drive they appear again.

Any ideas on what we can do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

14. JonWinters

JonWinters Bit poster

Same here

I'm seeing the same thing. Disconnecting the Drive in the Devices menu stops the messages.

MacBook Pro 17 Unibody
    Mac OS X 10.5.8
    3.06 GHz
    8 GB Ram

15. GwynethL

GwynethL Bit poster

Nicely caught solution! I was getting the same, too, but since I've started to do regular Time Machine backups on an external Iomega NAS, I have experienced all sorts of weirdness happening on Mac OS X 10.5.X — so although disconnecting the CD/DVD is a good workaround for now, I'm quite sure that this is somehow related to mounted network drives on the Iomega NAS.

16. Exactly the same issue. Using the most up-to-date Parallels version. Had to disconnect my DVD drive.

Kinda frustrating that it's been a few months and not a single reply from a company support.

Mac Pro 2006 Model
    10.6.x

17. Walt Stoneburner

Walt Stoneburner Bit poster

Confirming this as well

One message every second:
    SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transfer direction is 0

OS X 10.6, Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac Build 4.0.3846 (August 29, 2009)

Watching an "idle" Parallels system with Instruments shows that an ObjectAllocs are going wild with 16 bytes mallocs.

Disconnecting the guest OS's (Windows) DVD from the host operating system's actual DVD drive instantly stopped the messages.

18. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

Same problem here

PD ver 4.0.3846, OSX ver 10.6.1 on MacBook Pro 2.33 GHZ 17" Core2Duo. Log messages average 1/second, stop when I disconnect CD/DVD ROM drive via "Devices" menu. No external drives, no Time Machine backup running. Log message is: 9/29/09 6:27:18 PM kernel SCSITaskUserClient - Invalid arguments: scatterGatherEntries = 1, requestedTransferCount = 0, transfer direction is 0

Bill Halberstadt

19. locket

locket Bit poster

I got the same. How to solve?

20. alternapop

alternapop Bit poster