trouble installing Parallels Tools in RHEL5.3VM

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by DonE, Jul 29, 2009.

1. DonE

DonE Bit poster

I have a working Red Hat Enterprise Linux Virtual machine running in Parallels 4.0 on Mac OS 10.4.11. When selecting "Virtual Machine => Install Parallels Tools" I get the mounted volume "/media/Parallels Tools". Trying to activate the install file with the mouse does nothing. Going to "File => open in terminal" and typing "sh install" as root gives an error: "install line 334 ./install/installer.x86_64:permission denied".

line 334 of install reads: "FLAG_CHECK_GUI='Yes' '$GUI_INSTALLER.$X64'"

The GUI_INSTALLER is set earlier in the install script to: "$INSTALLER_DIR/installer"

Could this be an error from the space in the default name of the mount point (/media/Parallels Tools)? I noticed that other versions seem to mount to /mnt/cdrom or something similar.

Your help is appreciated.

2. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I have successfully installed Parallels Tools in CentOS 5.3. These are the steps I followed (from memory, so you should check things a bit):

Install the OS. Apply all available updates and reboot (especially the kernel updates).
    Change the SELinux status to Disable and reboot. The reboot will take a little while. Log in as root.
    Select Install Parallels Tools, which will mount the CD image.
    Copy everything in the image to a folder on your desktop, or anyplace else both writable and convenient.
    Change the permissions of the binaries so that they are executable; it won't hurt to make everything executable in the copied folder.
    Run the installer, which should now succeed.
    Re-enable SELinux and reboot. The reboot will take some time, so don't worry.
    Delete the installation directory if you want.

Note that in my case, I had a program (ModelSim) in which drag-and-drop didn't work correctly unless I disabled the mouse capture functionality in Parallels Tools. Hope this helps. Also note that the VM will default to a rather low video RAM; if you can't get a full-size screen, that's probably why.

Best,
    David

3. CyningerL

CyningerL Bit poster

David,

Your solution worked perfect! Thank you!

Chris

4. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Glad it worked. Note that I've since found a somewhat easier way, detailed in this thread.