Definite Memory Leak (3120 RC)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mrmkirsch, Jan 11, 2007.

1. mrmkirsch

mrmkirsch Bit poster

I had noticed the sluggish behavior of my system with earlier releases of this Beta, but never thought to observe what was going on using Activity Monitor. But after reading other posts, I decided to fire up 3120 and have a look.

Sure enough, there is a serious memory leak. With Windows just sitting there doing nothing, I've gone from 112 MB of real memory to 362 MB of real memory in just about five minutes. No wonder I've been having problems with performance!

I just did another test and the real memory went from about 125 MB upon starting Parallels and booting Windows XP to 920 MB in about 22 minutes. And I noted that the memory leak only happens when Windows is actually running; i.e., if you start Parallels and just let it sit there, the memory footprint stays stable at around 125 MB.

2. luz

luz Member

Yes, I also see Parallels eat around 50k/second

Yes, I see the same (details see this thread).

Others have made the same observations, see here and here.

3. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

have you have submitted this info to beta@parallels.com , rather than just posting here, as requested by the parallels team ?

4. luz

luz Member

Yes I did. Actually, I found that Tim Surgent of Parallels is aware of the problem and proposes at least a partial workaround, see here.