Build 2846 & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Duncan Whitcombe, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Duncan Whitcombe

Duncan Whitcombe Bit poster

Hi,

I just wanted to say well done with some stuff in this build. I have been using Windows 7 Beta, RC and I am in the process of building an RTM version. I just noticed something that really pleased me so I thought I would submit some feedback. A slight caveat: my Windows 7 system locks up if I haven't been using it for a while but I think that is a result of all the stuff that has been loaded and unloaded on this guest build. I expect it to be fine when I get my next guest machine built.

- Running on a macBook with a larger resolution screen now supports stuff much better in coherence mode. I have the primary screen as the large one and if I maximise a program's window if fills the big monitor. If I expand another program's window on the Macbook monitor it fill that (except for the bit at the top where the Mac status bar thing would be). To me, this is great - support for two monitors of different sizes, I can have stuff on each monitor and be more productive and somethign I have been yearning for since version 2 is now here !Harrah!
    - I didn't have problems installing the tools into W7. Even though the support is 'experimental' the experiment seems to be working.
    - W7 feels a lot faster than Vista - possibly because I didn't have to switch off a whole pile of stuff. I didn't really ooh and ahh over the interface as it was pretty similar to 2008 which I use as a workstation at work (it works in Parallels too).
    - 64 bit version of 2008 works on my 2.13 Dual Core Duo Macbook but there isn't any point without >4GB RAM to give the guest and limited support for 64 bit with many apps e.g. Flash. The only reason I would use it would be for Hyper-V management of servers.

Looks good, feels good and, did I say, I like the support for dual monitor of different sizes? Now I am wondering about whether those USB monitor adaptors will work too...

Yours Happily.

Duncan

2. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Hi Duncan,

Just saw your comments and as I'm about to shortly install Windows 7. I wanted to ask a few questions if I may?
    Did you mean build 3846 and not 2846? I have Parallels version 4 with Build 3846 and wondered if this is what you have tested against?

Did you do an update of windows 7 from Vista or did you do fresh install?

I have also purchased Snow Leopard, though I have not installed this as yet either as I was planning to install the lot as a fresh install making sure parallels build 3846 was on as I think this is needed for Snow Leopard.

If you have any comments they would be appreciated.

Kind regards
    Kevin

3. Boomdude

Boomdude Bit poster

I covered Windows 7 (and Windows Server 2008 R2) locking up in build 3846 a little over a month ago. I gave up trying and am using VMWare Fusion now. I'm also waiting on Parallels to update the build from 3846 to something that works. Unfortunately you're not alone.

4. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Hi Boomdude,

Parallels, don't tend to release updates very quickly, though that said with apparent hang up issues with Windows 7 this is not good and should be sorted promptly. I just wonder if they are aiming for "official support" for Windows 7 in the release version 5 of Desktop parallels...? I hope not as a lot of users will not want to go through the pains of a new Parallels release as well as Windows 7.

Maybe the Parallels team would like to comment as it is unclear to me and no doubt others as to their plans and what is their support what in what release?

Personally I would prefer to stick with Parallels and not move to VMware, though that said personally my greater concern is getting off Vista and onto Windows 7 whatever it takes.

Regards
    kevin

5. dontdo_that

dontdo_that Junior Member

I was just coming to this forum to post and ask if other people were experiencing severe crashing with build 3846 and Windows 7 RC x64... Looks like I'm not alone in my frustration. I think I'l just be using Windows 7 full time until Parallels gets this fixed, because I can't even do simple things like use powerpoint via parallels to open .ppt files (I only own a legitimate copy for Windows and don't want to pay for an OSX version) without parallels locking up.

6. Thomas García

Thomas García Bit poster

All swell but Coherence

I have been using Windows 7 (final) for about 3 weeks now (I am a Microsoft partner) on my MacBook Pro latest generation. I have had no issues with it except coherence not working properly as I cannot see the windows taskbar at all, regardless of the show/hide setup I use in windows. Other than that, is is faster than anything else I have run on Parallels, including XP, Vista and Win2003Server.

I did a clean install of Win7.

Anyone with suggestions about the coherence issue? Thanks.

7. Thomas García

Thomas García Bit poster