Dock icon always "paused"

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SlowButEffective, Feb 11, 2009.

1. SlowButEffective

SlowButEffective Bit poster

Hi. Even when Parallels is in the foreground and I'm actively using it, there's a big red pause badge over the icon in the dock. Isn't that supposed to only be there when the machine is paused?. The only time I've seen the pause icon go away is when Windows is restarting -- it then gets replaced with an Apple-style spinning wheel of radial lines. Once it's restarted, the pause (two red parallel lines) comes back.

Is this a bug, or am I just misunderstanding how that icon works?

2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

Hello,
    Open parallels desktop, do not start the virtual machine, On the menu bar click on - > Parallels desktop- > preferences - >
    appereance - > here click on the option "shoe in dock" and choose the option what you want to enable.

3. SlowButEffective

Hi. I can't see any options to get rid of the Pause symbol. I think the issue might be that I took the two red parallel lines to mean "Pause". Perhaps they are just the Parallels logo and always stay on the icon except when starting?

Here's a picture with the two parallel lines. They're always there except when Parallels is starting up -- then they animate/morph into the rotating radial lines. Once startup is complete, they morph back into the pause symbol (if that's what it is). Here's a picture of the Start menu icon with a red pause symbol over it.

[​IMG]

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello SlowButEffective,

It is not pause, but it is log of Parallels Desktop 4.0, and you cannot change it.
    In general when you pause your Virtual Machine, it is not shown on the Dock icon

5. SlowButEffective

Thanks, that makes sense.

6. LemonSeltzer

LemonSeltzer Bit poster

Dock Icon

The two vertical red bars in the dock icon is the stupidest idea Parallels ever had. It look like an error, a pause, or anything besides something that *should* be there. BONEHEAD AWARD to whoever came up with this.

7. LeviB

LeviB Bit poster

Allow Color selection

One of the competing virtualization products allows colorizing aspects of each guest VM. How about allowing a color selection of the Parallels badge that is places on Guest icons? That would allow a visual indicator of which VM was running which apps.

For example, I often have the same app running from two different VM's. It would be helpful to know by color which icon went with which VM.

Thanks,

Levi