Parallels Desktop 4 for Windows German Keyboard

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by HelmutB, Sep 10, 2009.

1. HelmutB

HelmutB Bit poster

I am using the Parallels Desktop 4 for Windows & Linux Trial Version

Installation and Working without Problems, but how can I configure Parallels
    for working with my German Keyboard Layout on a Windows PC ?

Thanks

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

3. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Current possible workaround for Windows host is to set EN layout
    on the host while working in a virtual machine.

We'll be posting an update to resolve non-US layouts problem really soon.

Regards,
    Max

4. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

I can confirm that the workaround works.

Nevertheless it's a little bit confusing that the keyboardlayout it messed up a little bit weired: The resulting layout within the VM is neither german nor english.

Some examples:
    The german letter "ß" is mapped to the key "-" but on an english layout there should be "/".
    The german letter "ö" is mapped to the key "ü" but on an english layout there should be "[".
    ":" and ";" are on the correct positions for a german keyboard layout which is not correct for the english layout.

Well, as said befor: Your workaround works as advertised: The german keyboardlayout is restored and fully fuctional.

5. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Thomas,

an update to Parallels Desktop 4 for Windows & Linux was posted that should resolve
    your issue and remove any need for workarounds - http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=94651

6. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

@tacit_one:
    My trail period is already over (2 days left). Is there any chance to expand it for additional 7 days to confirm the upgrades?