Parallels 3120 broke my Rosetta

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mr._K, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Mr._K

Mr._K Bit poster

Last night I upgraded to Parallels Desktop 3120 and my non-native apps immediately crashed. Since then I can't load any apps that require Rosetta. I get no response from trying to load any Rosetta applications.

Unless someone has some advice on how to fix it, I'm going to uninstall Parallels until this problem is fixed.

I'm running a 2.33 MBP 15" running 10.4.8

Thanks

2. mitchcumstein

mitchcumstein Bit poster

Rosetta no longer works for me too

Same here. I installed 3120 yesterday and I can no longer run Adobe CS2 apps including Illustrator.

My system is a 2 GHz Mac Book Pro with 2GB of memory running OS X 10.4.8.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Another user has mentioned a problem involving Rosetta and Application Enhancer (APE) from Unsanity. Not much info but it's a beginning. Not applicable if you have not installed APE.

4. Mr._K

Mr._K Bit poster

Thanks for the info. I have APE installed and have just run the Rosetta troubleshooter with no luck. I will post the results of removing it. I'll have to decide whether i like Word and Excel more than WIndowShadeX. Tough call....

5. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead Bit poster

AppEnhancer

Try adding the apps to App. Enhancer's Master Exclude List in the pref pane. (In System Prefs). This fixed my PS problem, which was unrelated to Parallels apparently.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That info came from Elan in this thread: http://forum.parallels.com/post38536-110.html - I just stumbled upon it. Post your results when you've got it whipped.

7. CountZero

CountZero Member

I have 3120 installed and my Rosetta app still works. I also have APE installed.

8. Mr._K

Mr._K Bit poster

While my Rosetta apps did stop working after installing Parallels RC1, my research shows I may have been too quick to blame it. A quick search of the Apple website shows that several other people have had Rosetta die after various different installs - there doesn't seem to be any specific program that kills it. For all I know, it was just its time to die and Parallels is innocent.

Here's what i do know:

Creating a new user account does not help

Booting into safe mode does not help

Repairing permissions does not help

Running AppleJack/Diskwarrior/TechTool does not help

Deleting corrupt .plist files does not help

"Translation" (the Rosetta Daemon) is running and killing the process does not help

I checked the Console and get the following error on startup, but don't know what it means:

"2007-01-12 19:16:16.823 loginwindow[802] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned err = -43
    2007-01-12 19:16:16.824 loginwindow[802] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned err = -43"

All Rosetta based programs just crash when i try to open them. Here's a section of my Entourage crash log (I don't know what it means):

Rosetta Version: 17.15
    Args: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Entourage /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Entourage -psn_0_5505025
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Thread 0: Crashed (0xb7fffabc, 0x85cc48d7)

The only thing that seems to work is archive and install a fresh copy of OS X. That's what we get for apple not allowing us to install components.

I'm going to crack open my install disc with pacifist and see if there is an install package for Rosetta, but I don't expect it will be there.

I realize that this is the wrong forum for this problem (now that I no longer blame Parallels per se) but I am posting this so others don't worry about the same problem.

Thanks for the help so far.

9. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

no problem here

I'm in that same club too. I wish people would stop blaming stuff on APE.

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

So far there's only been a connection made - no blame. Beta testing is about solutions, not blame. And it's no slight against APE or Parallels, but there are times when software interactions that need to be worked out. If that is the case here then it is in Parallels's and APE's interest to see if the interaction (if it exists) is correctable. Certainly if there is an interaction both companies are going to want to know and that information frequently comes from these forums. It's a good thing for everyone.

11. CountZero

CountZero Member

And my post is about giving extra data point on the issue. As a software developer myself, I know that the more information the users can provide, the easier it is to debug an issue.

12. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Exactly - and that means it is not a global problem. My system does not suffer from the memory leak problem. Don't know why, but I'm more than happy to gather any data and logs and configuration information that might set my system apart from one that's broken. We can whip this thing if we keep working together.

13. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

Not sure if you saw this

This is from the APE site:

New in version 2.0.2:
    Introduced a Rosetta Optimization process that addresses the issues in which some applications run under the Rosetta translation software would fail to launch. The system is automatically optimized when you install Application Enhancer, and this process can be later re-run from the Application Enhancer preference pane.

Did not see that mentioned yet but I could be blind.

14. Mr._K

Mr._K Bit poster

Just a quick update.

I broke down and reinstalled OS X and long story short I can use both Rosetta and Parallels at the same time now. Not sure what triggered the problem, but it's working now.

In case anyone is interested, I found out that the "loginwindow[802] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned err = -43" error, refers to a missing or corrupt alias (that's the -43) that is being accessed by the login program. I seached all of my login items, as well as the folders in my various libraries and found several remenants of uninstalled applications that were causing the problem. After deleting them, my login time is about 3 times faster.