The folder required...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BryanTom, Oct 13, 2009.

1. BryanTom

BryanTom Bit poster

All, I posted this to tech support, but I'm hoping I can get a quicker response here:

I have Parallels 4.0 running on an iMac in our school district with the shared users installation so many users can use the virtual machine. One user is having a problem opening the virtual machine. When the user tries to run parallels, he gets the following error: "The folder required for the correct operation of Parallels Desktop is not available. Reinstall the application." I tried deleting everything in the users folder (network folder) pertaining to parallels. I even created a new user that never ran parallels and made a list of all the files it made and then deleted them on the user with the problem, but the error message continued. I have tested the virtual machine on five different network users and they all work perfectly. Can you give any advice? Also, if I do need to re-install Parallels, can you please tell me how to tell what serial number is currently in use on his box?

Language: en
    Product Version: 4.0
    Computer Type: iMac
    Build Number: Other... 9L31a
    Amount of memory: 2-4GB
    Host OS: Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard
    Host OS details:
    Guest OS: Windows XP Professional
    Guest OS type: 32-bit
    Number of CPUs in Virtual machine: 1
    Amount of Guest OS memory: 512?

Thank you,
    Bryan

2. BryanTom

BryanTom Bit poster

Does anyone have any idea on this? Technical support has yet to answer the question.

Thanks,
    Bryan

3. BryanTom

BryanTom Bit poster

Since I keep replying to myself, I'll finish up. Simply doing as the program told me to do in the first place worked - I uninstalled the program and re-installed it. By uninstalling the program, my virtual machine was left in its place, and I was able to use the VM again with all users local, and networked.