Full screen is not really full screen?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Hotkey, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Hotkey

Hotkey Bit poster

On my new Macbook Pro 15" I'm thinking when I toggle Windows XP install to full screen, I should in fact see the XP desktop stretched across the entire display surface but it really only sits in the middle of a black background, about the same size as when its just simply windowed. Am I dreaming?

2. Hotkey

Hotkey Bit poster

Have not received any response on this yet...

3. BrixtonA

BrixtonA Bit poster

I had the same thing with vista a couple of times.
    No full screen just the 'normal' frame goes black and the windows workspace stays the same.
    Each time I think it happened was when I was in an application when I hit full screen so I simply exited the VM made a cup of tea and started it again doing the full screen thing before opening a windows application

4. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please uninstall Parallels Tools completely and reinstall it.
    Please follow the article below to completely uninstall it and reinstall it:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5116

5. bostonantifan

bostonantifan Member

Would this apply to Ubuntu virtual machines as well?

6. Hotkey

Hotkey Bit poster

This is not helping. The link/post you sent me too is for removing software from Windows. I'm installing on a Mac (as indicated in my original post).

So, just to be clear, I have Parallels Trial installed on my Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard. Windows XP is installed in Parallels and runs fine but when I try to make it go full screen it does not resize. It simply turns the boarding edges black with the virtual desktop still small and centered.

Please advise ASAP.. Trial is about to expire.

7. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Full screen and the other view modes are directly related to Parallels Tools so yoou need to uninstall it and reinstall it.

8. bostonantifan

bostonantifan Member

* * * * what about u b u n t u ???? * * * *

Would you P L E A S E answer my question that I asked 2 days ago? If parallels tools has to be removed an reinstalled in UBUNTU, the link you posted is totally U S E L E S S, as it only gives directions on how to remove tools from Windows. Would you MIND helping out the UBUNTU users among us? And would you mind doing it SOMETIME THIS YEAR?

9. BryanTom

BryanTom Bit poster

I'm afraid I can't really help you with the ubuntu installation portion, but when I install Windows using Parallels, a copy of the parallels tools is available to me on the windows side. When this tool is run on the Windows side, the full screen then works on the Windows side. I think what the Parallels technician is telling you is to uninstall Parallels using the uninstall command (your virtual machine should stay put, but you may want to back it up first) and then re-install Parallels again. Once you do that, run parallels desktop and use the import command and find your virtual machine. I have installed Parallels on a lot of computers for our school district, and the program really does work well. I'm sorry you are not having luck with tech support.

Bryan