Which default TOOLBAR postion is better?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Andrew @ Parallels, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Which default TOOLBAR postion is better?

1. On the top

36 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. On the left

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. On the right

64 vote(s)
    50.4%
  4. Never mind

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

1. The top position is more traditional but it waste very important vertical space. And you will not be able to use guest resolution sizes close to host ones without VM window clipping.

2. Left and right position looks a little unusual but save you very important vertical space. And you will be able to use guest resolution sizes close to host ones without VM window clipping.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  2. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Leave it on top.....add an option to HIDE it completely and just use the standard Apple menubar!

David

3. mimi

mimi Member

capability to place it on the bottom

I think it is also worth considering to place it on the bottom, shared with the status bar.

4. sirnh

sirnh Bit poster

I would actually prefer an option for a mini bar that is on the bottom bar along with the status icons. Maybe an option for putting the entire bar up top. There is no need for such large icons considering you might click them twice during a single session.

5. Neuron

Neuron Member

You can already hide it by clicking on the button on the top right corner of the window, just like any other Apple application. I would like smaller icons that flow better with the typical Apple style, but I usually keep them hidden anyway.

6. burgeke

burgeke Member

Looks like top is winning! I had installed beta 4 last night and that was the first thing I noticed, my 1024x768 res in the VM overlapped the dock. I moved the toolbar to the right and was back to how I was in beta 3....

7. vamp07

vamp07 Member

Just let the user choose and definitely let me turn it off. For me on the right or left makes more sense for the screen real estate reason. Ultimately I want to run full screen on my MBP so I doubt I will have it on in window mode and most of the time I will be full screen.

8. kaufman

kaufman Member

Turn it off completely and add the items to the menu bar.

Michael

9. constant

constant Forum Maven

All the toolbar items are already in the menus.

10. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

++ .

11. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Consider Virtual PC Switchers

Assuming that most switchers from PowerPC to Intel-Macs are used to Virtual PC it might make sound sense to put the bar at the bottom or at least to make it available for all four sides by choice of the user - in order to make the switch as smoothly as possible.

12. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

In that case, the issue is not worth bothering with - more important problems to solve!
    D

13. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Which default TOOLBAR position is better? (A: none)

I would drop the toolbar as it is today, completely.
    Instead, use the space available at the bottom in the status bar to add the buttons of the toolbar there. No need to loose space on TOP (or LEFT OR RIGHT) *AND* at the bottom in the status bar too.

So basically in the Mac OS X Application menu (View) you only need a toggle for 'Status bar'.

But what you should really do is provide a keyboard shortcut that would allow turn on/off of the status/toolbar without going to the menu with the mouse.

14. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

I prefer it on the right for screenspace. I would also like to see an option for smaller / hidden icons.

15. eudyptes

eudyptes Junior Member

Why not put everything on top?

At the risk of being contrary, why not move the status bar controls to the tool bar so everything there.

That way you can hide everything with a click of the toolbar control. If you need to access anything just click again to show them.

With everything on top there's no risk of pushing an important control off the bottom of the screen when the toolbar is open.

BTW, it would be nice to allow the user to edit setting of the various virtual devices (serial ports, etc) when they are disconnected, even if the virtual machine is running.

16. albertyong88@gmail.com

albertyong88@gmail.com Bit poster

Definately on the left/right. If the bottom status bar can moved inline with the toolbar, that would give more space for VM raher than wasted. Also, I would love to see shortcuts for the action on the toolbar

17. kevco

kevco Junior Member

I don't really care where the default is as long as I can change it. I moved mine back to the right in beta4 though. It just makes more sense on the wide screen of the macbook pro

18. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

IMO combining it with the status bar would be best and the option to hide or move it at will should suffice for any preference.

19. metfoo

metfoo Bit poster

Make it a hiding tool bar similar to the dock or windows taskbar. If it autohides, you can have native resolution, and have it look good.

20. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I agree with the idea of putting the toolbar items in the status bar at the bottom. This would be ideal, as far as I'm concerned.