Cycling through windows with "Command + Tab" not working for me in b3106

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tedpearlman, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tedpearlman

tedpearlman Bit poster

Cycling through windows with "Command + Tab" not working for me in b3106. When I command (apple) - tab, the active windows app that's showing (in coherence mode) becomes inactive (turns the usual faded colors) and my "Parallels Desktop" is still the app showing in my OS X menu bar. Flick command - tab as many times as I want and nothing happens. Try it with different windows apps - same result.

Any ideas?

Ted
    Denver

2. ghoetker

ghoetker Bit poster

I can report the same problem. I also had it using Witch, a cmd-tab program switcher replacement, which uses different keystrokes. So, Parr seems to be capturing all the keystrokes in a way b2 didn't.

3. drval

drval Pro

When I use CMD-Tab a display pops up which shows icons for each of my running Mac and Windows Apps. I can then cycle through to any of them. I'm using 3106 on a MBP C2D.

4. tedpearlman

tedpearlman Bit poster

OK. I think I get it...

The cursor has to be OUTSIDE the windows app hovering over an OS X area for Command+Tab to work. If your cursor is INSIDE the windows app (over the coherence-viewed windows app window), Command+Tab just deactivates the window and remains in Parallels.

Let me know if that works for you...

Ted

5. drval

drval Pro

I see no difference in behavior whether I use CMD-Tab inside a Windows window or outside of a Windows window or inside an OSX Window.

BTW, I'm using the native trackpad ONLY. Are you using a mouse? If so, perhaps that's the source of the difference behavior.

6. tedpearlman

tedpearlman Bit poster

Are you saying it works not matter what or it doesn't work no matter what?

Ted

7. drval

drval Pro

It works correctly regardless of whether I'm in a Windows Window, a Mac Window or whatever.

8. tedpearlman

tedpearlman Bit poster

OK. Just to ridiculously over-clarify...
    1. Parallels is the front-most/active application
    2. You are in coherence mode
    3. The arrow that is active is the Windows (white) arrow and it is located over the windows application that you are displaying in coherence mode
    4. You hit Command+Tab and despite 1, 2, and 3 being true, this hit of Command+Tab changes the front-most application to an application OTHER than Parallels (and the associated windows app(s) in coherence mode)?

Thanks,

Ted

9. drval

drval Pro

Yes, your description does seem overly ridiculous.

Regardless of whether Parallesl is the front-most window or not, regardless of whether Windows is active (white arrow) or not, whether a Mac app is frontmost, regardless of whether the cursor is black, if I use CMD-Tab then a panel pops up that display ALL of the active programs -- both Windows and Mac -- and I can choose any of them.

As far as I can tell, CMD-Tab works in all of its manifestations in precisely the way that it is supposed to. Is that clear enough?

10. tedpearlman

tedpearlman Bit poster

I'd ask you to spend 10 hours creating an OmniGraffle flow chart, but I think we're done. :)

Thanks for the patience. The mystery continues.

Ted

11. looter

looter Member

command (Apple) + tab

I'm running Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 3094 beta with Windows XP Pro on my MacBook Pro. Typing command + tab inside Windows (white cursor) toggles between open Windows applications and selects one of those if you hit 'return'. Outside of Windows (Black cursor) I can toggle between all Mac applications.

I wish I knew a better way to do this as the idea of a keyboard shortcut is to NOT have to use the mouse/trackpad.

Mac OS 10.4.8
    MacBook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo

12. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I just started a thread essential asking he same question http://forum.parallels.com/thread7676.html . I am also seeing that keyboard shortcuts I have set up with Butler sometimes don’t work while parallels is running even through parallels does not have the keyboard focus at the time.

13. zoogen

zoogen Bit poster

Confirming same problem with COMMAND + TAB

I've got the same problem. I have to move the mouse outside the Parallels window frame in order to COMMAND + TAB to toggle between apps on the Mac. I was sure this worked before 1970. I installed this beta hoping the behavior had been restored.

I was at Macworld this week and spoke to a Parallels rep, and he told me I could configure keys in Parallels preferences to make it work -- essentially mimic the COMMAND + TAB behavior in Windows so that it passed the keys over to Mac OS. Has anyone tried that?

I agree that not allowing the COMMAND + TAB behavior while within a Parallels window makes the app a lot less valuable with respect to the advertised "seemless" integration.

14. zoogen

zoogen Bit poster

Problem solved!

Hi all,

I did some more poking around, and found that tomservo291 has provided the answer to the mystery. (I didn't bother looking any further after I found this, so thanks to tomservo291 and everyone else who came before)

The post is here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=6957&highlight=command+tab

Go to your OS X System Preferences > Universal Access, and uncheck the "Enable access for assistive devices" at the bottom. Mine was checked. As soon as I unchecked it, COMMAND + TAB worked for me again! Wahoo!

15. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I see no way to do this in preferences.

16. zoogen

zoogen Bit poster

I tried too, and could not figure it out. Anyone else have any idea?