BSOD/black screen/unable to boot into safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BetsG, Oct 13, 2009.

1. BetsG

BetsG Bit poster

Running Win XP SP2 on Parallels 3.0 for MacBook OS X 10.5.8

Oh, it's a long and tangled web...

Shut down Windows and Parallels because of a wacky (recurring) caps lock mix-up, that normally is resolved on shut down and then restart. This time, on restart of virtual machine in Parallels, Windows booted up to the desktop, and then after a couple of seconds, BSOD with STOP: 0x000000F7 error (driver has overrun a stack-based buffer). (by the way, the only way I could actually read that message was by taking a screen shot, as the BSOD was up for only one or two seconds before Windows started rebooting and then continuing an endless loop.) Since I have not installed any hardware or software since the last time I successfully ran the virtual machine, I attempted to send F8 key combo to enter safe mode - but neither fn+f8, nor Actions ->Send Keys -> F8 would send that key. Continued endless loop of rebooting, BSOD, reboot... Had to use the Parallels Stop button.

Attempted to repair Win XP SP2 using legal disk, as apparently this is a way to retain all apps and data. When it went to the first reboot in the process (not rebooting from DVD), Windows splash screen appeared and then BSOD, and it entered another endless loop with splash screen, "continuing setup," and then BSOD. I stopped the virtual machine.

Restarted. Now, when I start virtual machine, the Windows splash screen appears and then a black screen. Nothing happens after that point. I attempted Windows repair again, with the same result: Windows splash screen and then black screen.

Am I totally hosed? Or is it possible for me to recover any data?

And what is the way to send F8 so I can enter safe mode? (Or is it too late now since I attempted repair and it's not able to complete it?)

thanks for any assistance.

2. desgael

desgael Pro

If you have tried the Windows Repair and it did not help I doubt booting into Safe mode would help now.

There is an easy way to access the data itself, even if the Windows got seriously corrupted, althought not the most convenient one:

1. Create a new virtual machine and install Windows in it.
    2. Go to Configuration Editor, then to Hard disk section and add a second hard disk, pointing to the old disk you had.
    (By default it is in /Users/<username>/Documents/Parallels/<VM_name>/winxp.hdd)

This way, the old hard disk would be seen in virtual machine as a second drive (i.e. D:\) and you would be able to access all the data.
    All programs, however, would have to be reinstalled.

3. BetsG

BetsG Bit poster

Thanks, dasgael.

An easier way, I discovered, is to open the .hdd file directly from Finder using Parallels Explorer (right-click file name, click Open with). All data is there, even though that installation of Windows is now shot. I'm so grateful for that!

I decided it's more time-effective to copy the data to the Mac side of things, and then I'll revert to an earlier snapshot of the Windows vm in Parallels and copy the data back.

I'm still curious, though, about how to send the F8 key through Parallels - none of the options worked.

4. BetsG

BetsG Bit poster

update

I reverted to an earlier snapshot, installed CA antivirus and on reboot, got the BSOD again - same message. Still not able to send F8. What is the procedure to send F8 on reboot of WinXP to get into safe mode?

(by the way, the Mac side of things is running just fine - I don't know what this Windows Stop 0x000000f7 error is related to.)

thanks for any assistance.

5. RonT

RonT Junior Member

CA Antivirus issue?

I've run into the same issue. I went back to a Windows restore point and all was fine. I updated my CA (again) to the most current and once again BSOD'ed on startup.

The message is "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer."

I am able to get boot into Safe mode.

Ron

6. BetsG

BetsG Bit poster

Ron, I think it is a CA/Parallels compatibility issue. I just got off a chat with CA's customer service, and after I explained the situation they refunded my money without question. I'm using AVG now, and so far no issues.

7. RonT

RonT Junior Member

Thanks for the update!

8. Raymond Weeth

Raymond Weeth Junior Member

If you are able to boot, I think this stop error is caused by your anti virus software. I had the same error on my sons PC, that I was eventually able to correct by downloading the latest version of the AV software. It should have been current, but it was the only PC of 4 to have this problem. So, if you have an AV software on your VM try and reinstall it. Of course this doesn't help if you can't boot into safe mode.