Scrolling not updating display properly in Vista...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fwong, Oct 16, 2009.

1. fwong

fwong Member

Parallels 4.0.3846
    Vista 32-bit
    MacBookPro, 4GB RAM
    MacOSX 10.5.8

I've got an odd problem that shows up most often in Microsoft Office products - If I run Parallels in "Full Screen" mode, my screen display will not update properly when I scrolling rapidly through a document. The problem is worst with Microsoft Word. Word will leave horizontal strips of the previous data before scrolling. It's just not updating the display properly. The only way to fix this is to grab the scroll box, and move to a completely different location in the document to trigger a full-screen redraw.

But...if I run Parallels in "Window" mode, the scrolling and refreshing work correctly with no lag and no horizontal ribbons of fractured display output.

I've completely uninstall and re-installed Parallels tools to try and fix this problem...no change.

Anybody else have this issue?

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello fwong,

Please perform these changes in the configuration and check if you are able to work in full screen mode:

1. Not more than 50% of memory than on Host, so 1.5 GB for Windows XP should be OK (usually under Configure -> Memory).
    2. Try to set anti virus settings for not to high for heuristic scan (details will vary for various anti virus so contacting vendor support is Ok).
    3. Try to set Video Memory to 256 MB to get good sharp graphics. (usually under Configure -> Video).
    4. Also check whether Enable 3D Acceleration is checked under Video.

Thank you.

3. fwong

fwong Member

Memory was at 1.8GB (I have 4GB of physical memory). So I left this unchanged

Are you referring to the Priority of the Virus Scans? Anti-Virus was already set to a lower priority

Already set to 256MB

You didn't say which way to set this. It was Enabled. I unchecked the box. And I think the problem occurs less frequently. Before the problem happened about 25% of the time. Now it probably occurs 10% of the time.

4. screen redraw problem - SOLVED

Hi,

I experienced the same screen redraw problem under crystal mode with (mostly) Word (Office 2007) on my system:

MacBook Pro 17" (2008)
    RAM: 4GB
    OS X: 10.6.2
    Parallels: v5.0 (GA release)

The problem was caused I think when I changed the amount of graphics ram from 256MB to 128MB. But couldn't remember that I changed it until I came across this post.

After setting the graphics ram again up to 256MB the problem vanished and everything is back to normal.

cheers
    Sandro