I Bought Win 7 Upgade downloadable - issues here

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by brightbelt, Oct 23, 2009.

1. brightbelt

brightbelt Member

Hi,
    I bought a downloadable version of Windows 7 Pro Upgrade off of Microsoft.com - now I can't seem to install it with Parallels. The downloadable version seems to have an air-tight download sequence that forces you to choose 'Run' rather than 'Save' and it starts the install at the end of this sequence pretty much automatically. And I don't think I can install Windows 7 right from within the current virtual machine OS, am I right?

So, what I think this means is that it is impossible to "burn" this upgrade to a DVD [makes sense that MS would want to *avoid* giving users that option]. Now, I DID order a Backup DVD in my purchase, and I'm glad I did. What I do have on my desktop is a link to my MS account page, from which I can access this download/Run process to install the software. Can Parallels work with that somehow??

I appreciate any assistance on this - I hope I've been clear in my explanations,...Frank B.

2. HannesK

HannesK Bit poster

3. brightbelt

brightbelt Member

Thanks Hannes for your quick reply.

Your proposed solution *might* work, but my situation seems slightly different -
    instead of getting a series of files when I choose 'Save' and being able to see where they are saved, I only get a 'Microsoft Account' icon when I save the download to my desktop.

There are no *files* per se to which I can point. I purposefully chose to Save the download to my Desktop so I'd know where things were, but the 'Microsoft Account' icon is all that seems to show up.

I'm open to any more ideas - in the meantime, I'll see if this solution might work. Thanks again,
    Frank B.

4. brightbelt

brightbelt Member

Hey, I may have found the download I need ! There is maybe more of a chance than I thought. Thanks again, Frank B.