Windows 7 and Aero

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RogerI, Jun 4, 2009.

1. RogerI

RogerI Bit poster

I have installed Windows 7RC in Parallels 4.0.3844 and it worked fine. However, I can not enable Aero since I get an error message telling me to update the driver for the video card "The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver."

I am running it on a MacPro with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and Parallels tools are installed. What should I do now?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Nothing.

Doesn't matter what card you have, the driver you have to use thru Parallels is the Parallels Display Driver (if you have installed the Parallels Tools), since the virtual machine in PDM 3 and 4 cannot access the graphics card directly.

And the parallels display driver doesn't support all the requirements of Aero.

3. RogerI

RogerI Bit poster

Thanks, that was what I suspected. I have also looked around a bit more and noticed that it does not seem to work with Vista either, which I was not aware of since I am still using XP.

It is a bit surprising and disappointing, wonder if they will get it to work when Windows 7 is finally relaesed in October?

4. JanM

JanM Bit poster

5. EliK

EliK Bit poster

Parallels 5.0

Beta of Parallels 5.0 supports aero transparency/cool visual effects, but the beta isn't perfect, yet.

I'm running 7 RTM on a macbook pro (June '09 version)

Any word on the release of Paralells 5.0?

6. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

7. Raymond Weeth

Raymond Weeth Junior Member

Roger, how were you able to get parallels to boot Win 7? I have a MacPro that I was running Vista on with no problems. When I upgraded to Win 7, Parallels keeps giving me a stop error. I can dual boot using bootcamp without a problem.

8. Michael Jacobs

Michael Jacobs Bit poster

It does not work.

9. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

No Aero

Aero isn't offered in that release. Just upgraded and looked for it.

tk

10. shawnf

shawnf Junior Member

Assuming it's a Stop 7b error - Google for MergeIDE.reg; install this under Boot Camp; then you should be able to boot your Boot Camp partition under Parallels and re-install the Parallels Tools. Works for me anyway :)

11. ShawnS

ShawnS Bit poster

I just check and Aero is still not working.

Shawn