Sytem Performance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JDub2, Oct 7, 2009.

1. JDub2

JDub2 Bit poster

I am finding that running XP Home Edition on Parallels is very, very slow, particularly when I am printing or working with page setup. Happens in Excel and Word both. Any thoughts?

2. ManfredG

ManfredG Bit poster

Slower than Paint peeling

I have the same problem. Opening a file takes up to 3 minutes, but sometimes the function crashes, and WIN tries to shut down the program, but can't. If I open two WIN programs, I get a total freeze. I don't work the Mac programs at the same time, so CPU or RAM size can't be the problem (a brand new iMAC).

4.0 installed quickly, and worked great for one day. But after restarting, it is so slow, I had to set up an old computer to finish work to meet a deadline.

My computer is mission critical. I am very angry.

3. JDub2

JDub2 Bit poster

Well, I guess misery loves company. Has anyone out there experienced the same issue or has an idea how to increase performance?

4. ManfredG

ManfredG Bit poster

I finally cured the slow performance problem: Wait at least an hour (in my case, going to bed frustrated, and waking up the nest morning to find a snappy XP VM). No problems since with 4.0.

5. Airw0lfBen

Airw0lfBen Bit poster

I have exact the same problem now for months!

My face falls asleep when I try to open Office programs....
    I already posted a comment in another thread but the Parallels Support doesn't reply to this problem very carefully.
    They know that this problem exists with an upgraded v3 VM to v4. So they have all the information they'd need to reproduce this. But obviously there is no interest in doing so.

First of all I had problems with the parallels tools crashing every few days with v3. No help at all.

I regret upgrading to v4 and put more money in their a$$.

Now I'm waiting for Fusion 3 which comes out 27th October...

Cheers

6. ManfredG

ManfredG Bit poster

Disconnect VMs

Airwolf,

I solved my problem.

Pull down the Devices menu, open Shared Folders, and UNCHECK All Devices.

For some reason, two VMs were always running at the same time, which sucked up virtual memory. Once I decoupled, 4.0 has run like a charm.

Manfred

7. Airw0lfBen

Airw0lfBen Bit poster

Hi Manfred,

unfortunately I had this option already disabled all the time. Still experiencing performance issues...

But thanks for the try. :)