Snow Leopard Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Robert Soden, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Robert Soden

Robert Soden Bit poster

I'm running Desktop 4.0 (build 3846) with Windows XP Home as my guest OS.

Everything's been great under OS X 10.5. I've been using this exact setup since Parallels Desktop 4.0 was released.

Last week I upgraded to OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and now I get a kernel panic at random times while using Parallels. I've gotten every available update, and I'm not doing anything exotic with my guest OS, just running Internet Explorer (I'm a web developer and I need it for testing). The kernel panic doesn't seem to happen at any particular interval, but always when I've got Parallels running, and frequently enough that it's making it impossible to get anything done.

This is really frustrating, especially since everything I've read said that Parallels was fully compatible with 10.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

My system:
    2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
    3 GB RAM

Guest OS:
    WinXP Home
    1 processor
    512 Mb RAM

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please send a problem-report using menu Help -> Report a Problem and post here its number. Problem reports contain information about kernel-panics

3. Robert Soden

Robert Soden Bit poster

Elric, could you please clarify?

Once there's a kernel panic, my entire laptop locks up and I have to hard re-set. Thus, the only way I can submit that report is to restart the system and load a working guest OS, so any technical information and/or screenshots would not be accurate to the conditions which caused the problem...

Should I do this anyway? Submit a report even when I'm not experiencing the issue?

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yes, please send anyway even if you are not experiencing the issue anymore. Logs of kernel panics are stored in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter and are included to the problem report; it is ok to send a problem report about the problem even after a week of crash... most of the time just these logs from PanicReporter are sufficient to understand the problem

(just in case... it is not even required to start the VM, just the Parallels Desktop application)

5. Robert Soden

Robert Soden Bit poster

Thanks for the response Elric,

I've filed the problem report, and my ID is 489658.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I'm sorry to not answer for so long,
    for some reason PanicLog was not present in the report (probably, it is an issue).

It would be helpful if you could attach here some file from /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ which starts with 'Kernel',
    for example

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Kernel_2009-09-08-114839_Robert-Sodens-MacBook-Pro.panic

7. JerryE

JerryE Bit poster

Same Problem Here

My macbook is also random kping after a clean install of Snow Leopard. Running most current build of Parallels. Guest os (Vista) is running in the background while web browsing in host OS (10.6.1) in foreground. Computer locks up and gives "You must restart your computer" msg.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It would be helpful if you could
    1) Send a problem report from menu Help->Report a Problem and post here its number

2) Attach here some file from /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ which starts with 'Kernel',

9. JerryE

JerryE Bit poster

additional info

I meant to include "ID 617347" in the original post. Sorry.

As for log files, I may have waited too long to report the issue (the logs no longer include any reports that begin with "kernel"). So here are some logs from a week ago (attached as a txt).

Attached Files:

10. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

I just upgraded to 4.0.3848 / Mac OS X 10.6.1 and got a kernel panic right after installing the update and rebooting.

Attached Files:

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Very strange. It doesn't looks like neither Parallels Desktop 4.0.3848 Kernel panic, nor SnowLeopard:

Anyway, so far I have not seen here no any KernelPanic that were definitely related to one of the latest builds (i.e. >= 3810)..

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Oops... I was wrong and opened wrong file. The issue that you have reported looks like really a Parallels Desktop problem and will be investigated.

Thank you for the report.

13. iJames

iJames Bit poster

Snow Leopard and 3848 Upgrade?

I've got Snow Leopard on a 17" MBP. I was about to upgrade to 3848, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. Is there some particular reason why soundevolution is crashing?

Thanks!

14. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

The crash above has occured at the end of upgrade and it was related to the upgrade from earlier version. So far it is second report about this problem (through tousands of upgrades).

We believe that this is fixed in 3848 and won't appear anymore.

15. MikeRyan

MikeRyan Bit poster

Kernel panic during 4.0.3848 update

I just had a Kernel panic as the 4.0.3848 update was finishing. When I started the computer (2 x 2.26 quad core Xeon Mac Pro) back up all seemed fine. Parallels says its running the latest version, 4.0.3848, and is working okay so far.