windows programs that want to grab focus

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by chowda, Jan 12, 2007.

1. chowda

chowda Bit poster

There are some programs (IM, poker, music ripping software) that want to jump to the front and grab your attention when they need input. it would be nice if Coherence would (optionally?) allow those programs to jump to the front when they need me... is this already possible?

2. rhind

rhind Member

It might be nicer to bounce the dock icon (if possible), similar to how windows highlights the icon in the task bar. I personally have a dislike for applications grabbing focus without request. I have had times where I'm typing a password in to another app, and something else grabs focus and get s the input (not viruses, but Borland C++Builder has done it on me a few times etc).

i don't like the idea of wrong text going to the wrong app (especially when I'm typing quickly because I can hit return before I realise).

Cheers

Russell

3. chowda

chowda Bit poster

Good idea... that would suite me fine.

4. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I would argue that the app should behave the same as on a PC especially in coherence mode. If the app has bad manners look for an alternative.

5. rhind

rhind Member

So long as Parallels doesn't jump to the foreground when I'm in another OS X app then that is fine. If Parallels jumps to the foreground then it is 'badly behaved' itself. I'm not expecting Parallels to stop Windows apps auto-activating inside Parallels, but if I hide Parallels I expect it to stay hidden until I restore it (as other OS X apps do).

What happens inside Parallels is up to the developers of the windows apps.

Cheers

Russell

6. vamp07

vamp07 Member

You have a good point.

7. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I agree. That's one of the (many) most annoying things about Windows - Windows itself is badly behaved in that respect. I would not use Parallels if it did that to me.