Windows 7 Boot Camp crashes when loading in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dking48, Oct 28, 2009.

1. dking48

dking48 Bit poster

My Windows 7 Boot Camp crashes when I try to run it in Parallels Desktop. Blue screen, back screen with option to fix or start normally, then hangs in repair mode. When I force a quit and restart in Boot Camp it runs properly. This configuration was working fine with Windows Vista Business. I upgraded my Boot Camp partition to Windows 7 without problem, though I had to unload and reload the Boot Camp utilities.

Stats:
    MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard
    Windows 7 professional 64 bit
    Parallels build 4.0.3848

Thanks in advance

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

3. dking48

dking48 Bit poster

Merging the file Mergeide.reg that was referenced in the thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=94572 is what has worked for me. Took some messing about to save the right file in the right .txt format so that I could get the merge to work properly. Saved it to a flash drive and merged it from there. Then, as mentioned in the thread I had to configure my vm to recognize the hard drive. But now everything seems to be working in both parallels and bootcamp.

Editing the DiskDescriptor.xml, that is described in the thread, didn't do a thing for me.

My vm didn't recognize the network adapter, after getting parallels to work. I set up several parallels/bootcamp vms trying to sort it out until I tried uninstalling the Parallels tools within Windows 7. Then I reinstalled them through Parallels and everything is working fine.

One last peculiarity - On my machine Windows 7 seems to interpret the shut down button in Parallels as hibernation, and then complains about not being properly managed when I restart my mac in bootcamp. This doesn't happen if I use the shut down command from within the Windows 7 start menu.

4. Peter Payne

Peter Payne Bit poster

I got it working for me. I needed to delete and re-create the PC in Parallels, re-defining the Boot Camp volume. Am now a happy camper.