Apple Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by radarseven, Oct 27, 2009.

1. radarseven

radarseven Bit poster

I'm wondering if the Parallels for Mac team can let us know whether or not Parallels 4 will be able to support the MultiTouch capabilities of the recently release Apple Magic Mouse.? Specifically, I'm wondering if there will be any scrolling support inside Parallels with the new Magic Mouse, or if it will essentially become a basic two-button mouse inside Parallels. I am running Windows XP SP3 inside Parallels on both Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard.

I'd assume this functionality won't be available right away, but am curious to know if it might be supported in a forthcoming software update of Parallels?

Thanks,
    Michael R.

2. rwsimon

rwsimon Bit poster

Magic Mouse on Windows

I'm using the Magic Mouse on my Windows XP SP3 VM and it only works as a bare-bones mouse: you can navigate and you can left-click. There is no scrolling, no right-clicking, and none of the special features. All of these will undoubtedly require a special driver from Apple. But meanwhile, it is functional.

3. radarseven

radarseven Bit poster

Thanks @rwsimon.
    Exactly what I was hoping to find out and what I expected.
    Hopefully a driver comes at some point. Can' imagine not having any scrolling capability inside my VM.

4. FredericT

FredericT Bit poster

I will also be pleased if support of the second-click and wheel function is implemented for the Magic Mouse.

I have another proposition/request. I'ill appreciate an option for a third/wheel click, like the one for the second click in the Parallels Preference window. I use the third click only on some Windows applications.

5. rwsimon

rwsimon Bit poster

Correction about Magic Mouse

One correction to my original post: right-clicking is working in the VM. It is only the scrolling and 2-finger swiping that doesn't work.

6. DarylF

DarylF Bit poster

me too

i am using a magic mouse under win7 under snow leopard and it only lets you do left clicks, no right click and no scroll. Please add support for this soon even if it is a quick and dirty hack...

7. DarylF

DarylF Bit poster

magic mouse works under windows 7

my magic mouse is now fully working under windows 7 under snow leopard using parallels 4, including right click and scrolling.

8. rwsimon

rwsimon Bit poster

Did you do something to get the scrolling to work, or did it just start working?

9. rwsimon

rwsimon Bit poster

Scrolling in Windows XP

Ok, I just checked and now scrolling (at least, up-and-down scrolling) is working in my Win XP VM. It didn't before, but now it does. Pretty mysterious, but anyway, it appears as if the Magic Mouse works pretty well under Parallels. I can't imagine why certain features - like right-clicking and scrolling - would not work at first but then "learn" to work. But that seems to be what I have found on my machine. I hope it keeps working!

10. DarylF

DarylF Bit poster

Mine too, at first it didn't work and then it did... weird...

11. rwsimon

rwsimon Bit poster

Magic Mouse under Parallels 5

As an update, Parallels 5 allows all the Magic Mouse functions to work in an XP virtual machine.

12. Franky_

Franky_ Bit poster

Does it work at Parallels 4 also with all functions?

Thanks in advance!
    Regards
    Franky

13. JCPf

JCPf Bit poster

Works in P4, barely

I've tried the Magic Mouse in Parallels 4.0xxx and it seems to work but not all functions. One finger scrolling and right click work. Accelerated scrolling seems to work but not very well and regular scrolling stutters / not fluid. Two finger swipes and horizontal scrolling do not work. The control-scroll zoom function does work (surprising). I'll try upgrading to P5 and see if that improved things.

14. MichaelMcF

MichaelMcF Bit poster

Magic Mouse Working

I am very reliant on a middle-click mouse action for use with 3ds Max. I have finally got everything to work as follows:
    - Snow Leopard with latest updates installed.
    - Parallels 5 with latest updates installed.
    - Windows 7 with all updates.
    - BetterTouchTool installed for my Magic Mouse with a Three Finger Click mapped for the middle (wheel) click. Also, a Three Finger Swipe Down mapped for Expose.

Restarted Parallels and fired up Windows 7 and 3ds Max and it all works fantastic. Left-Click, Right-Click, Middle-Click (Three finger click).

Hope this helps someone else experiencing the Middle-Click Blues.

15. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Magic Mouse is fully supported in Parallels Desktop 5 only.

16. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

Is it fully supported regardless host OS (Leopard and Snow Leopard) and Boot Camp drivers?
    I mean, does PD5 manage the full multitouch features by itself?

Sorry if my average englsih is not clear :).

17. alexg

Hi,

Magic Mouse multitouch gestures are supported in host which support Magic Mouse. It works in Windows XP and later guests only. Multitouch gestures supported by out tools inside guest what pass-trough Magic Mouse gestures to the guest applications.

Alexander

18. HowardJ

HowardJ Bit poster

Uncontrollable scrolling under Parallels Desktop 5

I'm running Win 7 with updates using iMac & Magic Mouse. Mac is running Snow Leopard 10.6.2. All of the Magic Mouse functions work but vertical scrolling often occurs (even while writing this append) even though I am not touching the surface of the magic mouse. For example, if I position the cursor in Visual Studio or MS Word, by left clicking and then release the mouse, significant vertical scrolling might occur -- like more than a page. If I click in a document and reposition the mouse by touching the sides, scrolling often occurs. I have also experienced unanticipated horizontal scrolling as well.

This behavior is driving me crazy, especially while code editing and the mouse is jumping all around unexpectedly in my program. I have never seen similar behavior with a USB optical mouse and when I switch to one, it works fine.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this behavior with the MM? My sense is that this is a software problem but I can't prove that. If it is a software problem, I would expect that a driver update can correct.

Apple support was not helpful when I contacted them about this earlier and suggested the Parallels drivers may be causing the problem.

19. alexg

HowardJ,

Could you please disable Gestures in the VM configuration and check the issue?

Alexander

20. HowardJ

HowardJ Bit poster

Problem Persists

Thanks Alexander.

That's one of the first things I tried. It did not correct the problem.