Crystal & Windows XP Taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Stephen Bader, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Stephen Bader

Stephen Bader Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels version 5 today, and was excited to try out the Crystal feature. Crystal is working, but my windows taskbar stays at the bottom of the screen near the dock when in Crystal (and coherence). Any idea how to get rid of it? I switched back to windowed mode and set it to hide the taskbar but the taskbar re-appeared after switching back to Crystal. This is a major bummer :(

Thanks,

-Steve

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Crystal defaults to whatever settings you have for Coherence. Try setting the taskbar to hidden in Coherence and it should remain hidden when you switch to Crystal.

3. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

I don't have this problem but when XP loads the taskbar shows on top of the dock and then disappears. Why?

4. karlfranz

karlfranz Bit poster

I too would like to find out how to completely hide the Windows Taskbar. I thought this worked in V.4. The screen shots on the Parallels site for V.5 show that the Taskbar is indeed hidden, so there might be a setting somewhere that we're missing.

And while I'm at it: is there a way to replace the ugly, low resolution Office XP icons with something nicer looking? When Cmd-Tab through the apps, the Office XP icons stand out by their sheer ugliness.

5. Stephen Bader

Stephen Bader Bit poster

Setting the taskbar to hide in coherence fixed it when switching to crystal. Thanks for the tip! I really like crystal, although it isn't too far of a stretch from coherence.

Thanks again!

-Steve

6. stpaulsmarttrips

stpaulsmarttrips Bit poster

Thanks- this is not very intuitive. It seemed like a bug to me.

7. wonfuji

wonfuji Bit poster

Still puzzled

In coherence in P5 there is no apparent option to hide the task bar - the View menu always reads "Show Windows Taskbar" - never a choice to hide it. The P5 preferences do not offer much option for that either. Crystal is great, the Windows Taskbar is not.

Stephen

8. wonfuji

wonfuji Bit poster

In my install P5.0.9220 on 10.6.2 there is never an option to Hide TaskBar - it always says View > Show Taskbar.0.9220.

Help says this
    "Using the Windows Taskbar
    By default, both Windows taskbar and Mac OS X Dock are visible. You can use any of the Windows taskbar elements right from Mac OS X Desktop. You can hide the Windows taskbar by choosing View > Hide Windows Taskbar. When the Windows taskbar is hidden, it is convenient to use the Start button icon in the Dock. If you click this icon, the Windows Start menu appears. To display this icon, select the Use Start button icon in Coherence option in the Parallels Desktop appearance preferences."

Which is all very good except it does not work.