Parallels 5 - Windows XP now blue-screens on boot!

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by NigelD, Nov 4, 2009.

1. NigelD

NigelD Bit poster

So I just upgraded to Parallels 5 and now my image from Parallels 4 is blue-screening on boot - even in safe mode. The error message states a flag of "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL": http://twitpic.com/ob61d

Are there any known issues with using a v4 image with Parallels v5?

Thanks.

2. delaneyrm

delaneyrm Junior Member

I also just upgraded from Parallels 4 to 5, and have what looks to be the same problem with my Windows XP image. I think I see the same error message, but it goes by so fast to the next screen which is quite verbose, but starts with "We apologize ... but Windows did not start successfully ... Then near the bottom is the highlighted "Start Windows Normally", and after 30 seconds the whole process starts again, the error window comes back, and again it tries to start normally after 30 seconds. After watching this recycling about 4 times, I tried "Safe Mode" but even that eventually came back to the endless recycling.

Then I tried a "Revert to Snapshot" and for a moment I saw the normal Windows screen with icons and all. But then that disappeared and I saw the usual small black background window which went into the same endless recycling.

Parallels 5, you have a problem with a Windows XP image.

Bob

3. delaneyrm

delaneyrm Junior Member

I also just upgraded from Parallels 4 to 5, and have what looks to be the same problem with my Windows XP image. I think I see the same error message, but it goes by so fast to the next screen which is quite verbose, but starts with "We apologize ... but Windows did not start successfully ... Then near the bottom is the highlighted "Start Windows Normally", and after 30 seconds the whole process starts again, the error window comes back, and again it tries to start normally after 30 seconds. After watching this recycling about 4 times, I tried "Safe Mode" but even that eventually came back to the endless recycling.

Then I tried a "Revert to Snapshot" and for a moment I saw the normal Windows screen with icons and all. But then that disappeared and I saw the usual small black background window which went into the same endless recycling.

Parallels 5, you have a problem with a Windows XP image.

Bob

4. hsdajr

hsdajr Bit poster

There is a solution!

Actually found it on versiontracker.com, but they reference an article here at Parallels:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/6873

Basically, go into the configuration of each Virtual Machine and set the number of CPU's back to 1. Then after you've been able to get the VM up and running properly in Parallels 5 AND you've allowed Parallels Tools to be reinstalled, then once you've rebooted, you should be able to set each VM back to multiple CPUs again.

5. delaneyrm

delaneyrm Junior Member

That worked. Thanks very much.

Bob

6. MattH

MattH Bit poster

helped

thank you, this was the solution.

7. HaydnM

HaydnM Bit poster

Please help!

I have followed the link above, though can't find the "Processor's drop down list" in step 3. Can any body please help?

8. HaydnM

HaydnM Bit poster

Please Help!
    I have tried the directions linked to above, though cannot locate the "Processors drop down list". I think I still have Parallels version four.
    Any help would be sincerely appreciated!
    Thanks.

9. JimB

JimB Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

10. JimB

JimB Junior Member

Unable to finish Win 7 installation. The number of CPU's is set to 1.