Failed to load libGL.so.1

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Kevin C. Krinke, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Kevin C. Krinke

Kevin C. Krinke Junior Member

I've just upgraded to Parallels 5.0. The whole upgrade process went very smooth and so far went off without a hitch.

The problem I'm having now is that while I'm able to run things like glxgears (and get miserable fps but it runs at least) however when I use anything more advanced in terms of OpenGL usage I get a failure to load the libGL.so.1 library.

I'd like to know the following...

1. Does anyone else have this issue?

and

2. Is there a Parallels specific version of libGL.so that I should be using?

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Kevin,

libGL.so should have been replaced by Parallels Tools to enable accelerated GL support. glxgears running slow is an indication that it is not using Parallels driver.
    Which Linux distro are you using? Is it 64- or 32-bit based? What applications are failing?
    Have you installed Parallels Tools in VM? Is libGL.so.1 present (try "ls -la /usr/lib/libGL.so.1")?
    Is 3D acceleration enabled in your VM preferences/Hardware/Video?

3. Kevin C. Krinke

I did install the tools, I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 (32-bit but will be changing to 64 in the near future if things prove stable in that arena). libGL.so.1 is indeed present and 3D is enabled... however I'm going to try re-installing the tools because I think I may have inadvertantly overwritten it with the MESA package from Ubuntu whilst doing my normal build environment setup. I'll post back with progress.

4. Kevin C. Krinke

Ok, I've done a re-install of the tools and now libGL.so.1 symlinks to /usr/lib/libGL.so.5.0.9220.531002 and I'm now getting ~150fps in glxgears but I'm still getting the failed to load libGL.so error. I'm going to investigate the offending application in question further and will continue to post updates here.

Note to others; if /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 points to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2, that's MESA (or something else) and *not* the Parallels libGL. Re-installing the tools will fix that. Re-installing the tools after kernel upgrades and such is probably a good idea anyways.

5. Kevin C. Krinke

Ok, so the app in question is statically linking libGLU and that's about the only thing I can see that may be an issue... still working on this. Sorry for so many followup postings...

6. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton Member

I appreciate all the postings. Thank you.

I am trying to determine if I am getting any hardware acceleration as I see only a 2x improvement in my application .

Can you please point me to a source of the gears application? I know it's all over the Internet. If possible I'd like to use the same source for benchmark comparison.

Thanks,

-Ed