Parallels 5 Desktop can't install Tools under Windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by eleeptg, Nov 4, 2009.

1. eleeptg

eleeptg Bit poster

I installed Parallels 5.0 Deskop and it installed fine. Boots up, goes into Windows 7, I start up the Parallels Tools install and each time it fails and rolls back the installation and tells me that it encountered an error and that I should reboot and try again. Reboot after reboot, it does the same thing. It looks like it copies new files fine, then craps out right after that. Any ideas?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

eleeptg,

Do you use RC or RTM version of Windows 7?

3. eleeptg

eleeptg Bit poster

I have a retail copy of Windows 7. Was in parallels 4 fine and also was running beta of Parallels 5 for a short time. I've tried removing the device drivers for parallels as well as running setup as administrator, but still rolls back during installation. Seems like its copying files, validating install, something about time syncrhonization and then it skips to rolling back and gives me the error

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please send a problem report using menu of Parallels Desktop "Help" -> "Report a Problem" and post here its number? The problem report for Parallels 5 shoud contain log-files of tools installation so it may help to solve the problem quickly.

5. JochenK

JochenK Bit poster

I will send you a report.
    The problem is on my computer the same.
    I am using a MacBook Pro 5,3 (mostly) in 64-bit mode and a 64-bit retail of Windows 7.

6. JochenK

JochenK Bit poster

Problem report was sent with the ID 727606.

7. JochenK

JochenK Bit poster

The installation program crashes at the moment it installs the time synchronisation driver.

8. eleeptg

eleeptg Bit poster

Problem report sent in as 731381

9. EDPvideo

EDPvideo Bit poster

Tools installer continual failure and reboot in XP too

I have the same exact problem. I am running XP Pro, not Windows 7. The tools installer gets so far then reports:

Error 2738 Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.

I cannot find any way to get in touch with Parallels support or even submit a ticket without buying a support option. I don't think I should have to pay for a support call that is clearly a fault in the upgrade program. I find the whole support system for Parallels completely confusing and frustrating. And I need my VM to work by next week for a large project. This upgrade has brought my business to a halt until it is fixed.

10. pwnell

pwnell Bit poster

Include me. Windows 7 RTM, upgraded form Parallels 4 and ut fails with "An error occurred while installing Parallels Tools. Click OK to restart your virtual machine, and then try to install Parallels tools again." The error proceeding this is "Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action ."

11. pwnell

pwnell Bit poster

12. eleeptg

eleeptg Bit poster

Didn't work for me :( .. and support isn't helping much. Tried a few ideas they sent. Still no go...

13. toming

toming Bit poster

same for me. parallels is unable to complete step 1 of 4, it always asks me to continue manually, but as windows is stuck in windows startup repair, i cannot access my computer. the only option is to reboot, an the whole thing starts again with the same error.

14. jamill

jamill Bit poster

Same for me...XP Pro

Apparently this is a common problem. Why is this not fixed yet?

15. elainee

elainee Bit poster

any news?

Has this issue been solved? I had everything working great on windows 7, didn't use it for a month or so, booted it up and can not install parallel tools to save my life. Just got rid of all my anti-virus software and still no go. They were installed last time I used parallels, though, but somehow they uninstalled themselves. No idea what happened.

16. sergeyart

sergeyart Bit poster

same issue, win7x64, parallels 5.0.9344

Same issue, March 15 2010, is it resolved.
    I have posted report, ID 3994232

attached is a log file for a failed parallels tools installation, zipped.

Attached Files:

17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Very strange. It have failed at

Never seen this problem before. Please try to uninstall the Parallels Tools by choosing "Uninstall" in the ControlPanel->Add/Remove programs and install them again (with reboot between these two actions). If this won't help, the best way is to create a support-ticket..

18. mishaw

mishaw Bit poster

Same problem here

Multiple attempts at installing parallels tools fails and rolls back. This is under the most recent build and Windows 7. After failing to install I get "Walkingmouse" errors.

Does anyone else find Parallels second only to Intuit/Quicken in horrendous tech support?

19. mishaw

mishaw Bit poster

Same problems with Win 7 and latest build

Getting same problems repeated here. Can't "uninstall" parallel tools from control panel because it's not installing in the first place. If I uninstall Parallel 5 altogether, do I risk losing my virtual machine?

Attached is screen shot of error message

Attached Files:

20. sergeyart

sergeyart Bit poster

No Parallels Tools in Control Panel, cant ununistall...