Parallels 5, BSOD (screenshot att) with Windows XP (from Parallels 4),Win7/Vista fine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Steelbom, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

OK, I just bought parallels the full version (not upgrade) deleted Parallels 4.0 from my applications folder, installed Parallels 5, I opened my Windows 7 virtual machine (from boot camp) which runs fine, my Windows Vista virtual machine which runs fine, but XP after the loading bars gets a BSOD.

I've got backups in case anything goes wrong with the VMs.
    I wonder why this only happens for Windows XP?

Safe Mode had the same problem. Any idea's what's wrong?

Attached Files:

2. AhmedE

AhmedE Bit poster

Same error

I am getting the same exact error

3. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello Steelbom,

Please do the following:

1. Shut down your virtual machine if it is started now.
    2. Set virtual machine CPU number to 1 in VM configuration. To do this, open Virtual Machine menu->Configure... and set "1" in "Processors" drop-down.
    3. Start the virtual machine. This time it will boot normally.
    4. Login and wait until Parallels Tools are installed.
    5. After Parallels Tools are installed, it is safe to return the previous CPU amount.

4. Ben Spink

Ben Spink Bit poster

Known issue...

Its a known issue they just thought would be fun to send to their customers rather than fixing it first... At least it has a fix.

5. armadin

armadin Bit poster

Changing CPU to 1 also helped IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD

I was getting a slightly different error with the BSOD when I tried to open my version 4 VM (XP Pro) with version 5 of Parallels. Changing the CPU to 1 has allowed the VM to finally boot and Parallel Tools Install. After the tools installed and rebooted I shutdown the VW and changed the CPU back to 2. Seems to be working.

Attached Files:

6. AchimG

AchimG Bit poster

Unfortunately this did not work for me since the CPU was already set to 1.

I also tried to remove the floppy with no result. BSOD every time i start the maschine.

What can i do else ?

7. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

thank you for your reply, I quickly noticed a similar thread after posting this, and then the sticky at the top of the forum of what to do ^_^.

Thanks again

8. DiegoE

DiegoE Bit poster

Frozen application

I'm having the same problem with an additional complication.

Every time I launch Parallels 5, it immediately tries to start the XP VM, which goes to the BSOD as explained above. However, throughout the XP startup process I am not able to access any of the Parallels menus so I'm not able to change the settings to 1 CPU as suggested. At the end of the process, everything is frozen and I am forced to Force Quit. When I restart Parallels, the same thing happens.

Is there a way to stop Parallels from attempting to launch XP automatically at startup so I can make the changes suggested here?

Thanks, D.

9. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

You should still be able to open the configure menu and set it to not turn on automatically.

10. DiegoE

DiegoE Bit poster

Hi,

I couldn´t get to the menu. That was the problem. However, I did manage to solve it. I found the folder where the VM is held "Users/myusername/Documents/Parallels" and moved the Windows VM temporarily out of the folder. Then I restarted Parallels Desktop. Since the application could not find the VM, it couldn´t start it up automatically and gave me the normal startup screen with the choices of VMs. Next to the Windows VM, it put a question mark until I put the VM file back in its folder. After that, I chose the Windows VM, normally and was able to follow the instructions to set the CPUs to 1, and everything worked fine.

D.

11. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I am sure it will be helpful to our other users.